The top and the two upper drawers were removed. Part of the top was used to create the back of the seating area. The backs of the upper drawers were used to replace the fronts of the two lower drawers. The lower drawers were reinforced by gluing short lengths of 3/4” cove molding into the inside of each corner with polyurethane glue. I apologize for not having a photo of the inside of the drawers.
Dresser Repurposed Into a Storage Bench
There are a number of examples on Hometalk, where a dresser has been repurposed into a bench https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=dresser%20into%20bench
Julie, my wife’s cousin and a fellow hometalker, asked me if I would do one for her living room. I was more than willing to do one for her.
About four year’s ago Julie’s daughter, Jessica lost her battle with mental illness and died by suicide. Immediately after this tragedy, Julie candidly shared the circumstance leading to Jessica’s death. Subsequently she has become a committed activist for mental health awareness and suicide prevention. She believes the more we talk and read the more stigma we change. A link to her blog is at the end of this posting.
She recently received The Annual Butterfly Award from “I Understand Love Heals” for her work.
I admire her strength and courage and view this project as an opportunity for me “to do something” for Julie and her family when in reality no words or action can help with their loss.
The dresser we decided to use was once Jessica’s. It was a little dated and primarily constructed of MDF with printed wood-grain finish.
I fabricated: a top for the cabinet area; the seat; and the end cap (arm rest) from a single 2 ft. by 6 ft. edge glue panel . A single length of pine was planed to the thickness of the panel and attached to the panel to form the strip along the back of the bench.
The drawer fronts and and the doors were cut from smaller edge glued panels. Fronts were scored with a table saw to give the appearance of six drawers, even though there are only two. The drawer fronts were tacked to the drawers but securely held in place with the white porcelain knobs.
The top was glued down with liquid nails and nailed in place with finishing nails. Nail heads were recessed and filled with wood filler.
The top, drawer fronts, seat, and doors received a natural finish using oil based stain and polyurethane varnish. The rest of the bench was primed with oil based white primer using a foam roller, sanded lightly, and then spray painted white.
The doors did require a roller catch to keep them closed.
The seat isn’t exactly a lounging spot, but does offer Julie and her family a spot to put on/remove their shoes near the front door, along with some storage. They are very happy with the transformation.
Thank you for viewing this project.
Update August 2020: HomeTalk decided to re-share this. Several people Have suggested a cushion. No problem but if you look through the original comments, you will see that Julie prefers the hard surface.