Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Safe No Chemical Wood Finish

$5

I have posted a few painting techniques in the past, take a look at my most recent one which I used for some Fall pumpkins. The thing is, I really don't like using chemicals. It's pretty hot here in Arizona, and I hate using chemicals in my home, so if I can use a no chemical solution to get the same results, then I'm all in! Today I was cleaning out my under the sink flip out drawer. It was looking really rusty and dirty and then I had a light bulb moment! If by leaving my Brillo pads in that drawer creates a rusty finish, then who says I couldn't do the same for wood? Using tea bags (which can stain pretty nicely as well) I created this new finish for my wooden wall ladder.

safe no chemical wood finish

The dirty drawer shelf that inspired me to get this look on my wood.

safe no chemical wood finish

I took my Brillo pad and soaked in vinegar over night. It was a bit pink which is not what I was going for but onward we go!

safe no chemical wood finish

I used this open tea bag and added some hot hot tap water (next time I’d leave the tea in the bag so the gains don’t strain out).

safe no chemical wood finish

I began by painting the ladder with the tea first. Once again I was worried because the tea was raspberry and it was very red. But I made it work!

safe no chemical wood finish

Then I used the vinegar that I had soaked my Brillo in overnight. I painted it over the tea stain.

safe no chemical wood finish

I removed the Brillo...

safe no chemical wood finish

As it started to dry I got really excited! It began to look like a grey and weathered look- love!

safe no chemical wood finish

I continued and painted with the tea and then the Brillo solution over the whole ladder.

safe no chemical wood finish

And it turned out great! No paint, no chemicals, and it looks so good.

safe no chemical wood finish

PS- I cleaned my drawer, but it remained a but stained. Looks like this technique would also work on plastic! I think I'll try this technique along with my cinnamon rust technique which I posted a few weeks ago.