Former Golf Clubs Welcome You Home

$15

We had a old garbage can that some of my husbands retired golf clubs ended up in. Our neighbor was graduating from high school and is an avid golfer. I wanted his gift to be personal and was racking my brain on what to get him as a graduation gift? As I was walking by the can holding the clubs, the lightbulb went off! I knew what to do with those old clubs!

former golf clubs welcome you home

Various kinds of clubs in really bad shape!

former golf clubs welcome you home

I found an old pine board in our stash. I sanded it, then painted the board this off white color.

former golf clubs welcome you home

My husband helped me cut the clubs down to the length I wanted. Then, he showed me how to clean them using a bench top grinder, using a buffing attachment. It was scary at first because it goes so fast. But, eventually I got the hang of it. Having the heavy duty leather gloves (I used welding gloves) was a must too. And Oh yes, I wore eye protection.

former golf clubs welcome you home

Shiny and newish looking!

former golf clubs welcome you home

Here all 5 pieces are cleaned, shiny and ready to go.

former golf clubs welcome you home

Another view!

former golf clubs welcome you home

Next, I laid the clubs out so that they looked even on the board. I drilled a hole the exact size of the shaft so it would fit snug. I then put Gorilla Glue in the holes to secure them and let them dry overnight. You will see in the last pictures how I turned the putter sideways. It just looked better that way.

former golf clubs welcome you home

I asked his parents if he had a certain saying he liked and they told me this one. I cut out vinyl using my Cricut machine and attached it to the board. To make it more “golfy”, (if that’s a word) I used golf ball shapes to replace the “i” and dot in the exclamation point.

former golf clubs welcome you home

Here is the completed project. I used a water based sealer on the board and attached a chain on the back to hang it up.

former golf clubs welcome you home

And hopefully he can use it in his apartment or house when he moves on!