Kitchen Lighting Shiplap Makeover

$100
1 Day

A great way to update that old 1980s kitchen ceiling tubular fluorescent lighting.

No more signs of 1980s lighting

I wish I would have taken the first before picture of what the ceiling looked like when we moved into this home. I’m sure you can imagine what it looked like when I tell you this opening used to be filled with the 1980s fluorescent tubing lighting that had that thick plastic covering over it. Prior to this shiplap makeover I had also made an attempt to update it trying to remove any signs of the fluorescent lighting. I will show you what that initial transformation looked like in the next photo.

First update

So, this was my first attempt at updating the lighting and it worked for a while but I wasn’t in love with it. We removed the tubular lighting and dry walled the ceiling, added some canned recessed lighting, applied crown molding, wood appliqués, and hung a wrought iron decorative piece. It didn’t look bad but I wasn’t in love with it.

Up goes the shiplap

With the help of my husband and a very good friend, we took turns applying the shiplap. We used an air nail gun which made the project go by much faster. Before we nailed the shiplap to the ceiling, I cut the boards to size and painted them, using Annie Sloan white chalk paint. I chose the dry brush method instead of covering the boards completely with paint. This was a quick and easy project because the area I was covering with shiplap wasn’t too big.

Underlayment subfloor boards

I didn’t use actual shiplap, I purchased underlayment boards from Home Depot. The board was 7/32 in x 4ft x 8ft and I had them cut them to the dimensions I needed. The board wasn’t as expensive as shiplap either! 🤗

Dry brush method

This is a close-up of the painted boards, using the dry brush method. As you can see from this picture, the boards aren’t completely covered with paint. I wanted a more rustic and farmhouse look. I also chose a board that had knots and character to give it a more farmhouse feel.

The completed project

Here it is, the completed project and I really like the way it turned out. As you can see from this picture, I have also painted my kitchen cabinets. That was a huge project in itself LOL but I love the transformation that my kitchen has now. I hope you get inspired from this project and if you want to see more of what I do please visit me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard

• Teresa Tyler

Can You Please come makeover my Kitchen.? A Girl can dream..!!! Lol. I love it.!

• Barbara

I love what you did with the old light box💕. But is that your pantry with the black see-thru door? If so, how did you do it?

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Thank you Barbara! We actually took the door to a glass store and had them remove the wooden portion of the inside of the door and replaced it with glass. I hope I made sense. Hmmm the glass replaced all the wood lol I hope you know what I mean 💕