Beautiful Succulent Lantern

$10

My daughter and I worked on a project for an auction recently. The project, like most of my projects didn't end when the blog post was over.

Together we worked on a vertical succulent garden in a vintage frame. Her plant expertise and my love for DIY came together to create a beautiful project for the auction.  

I'd love to have you come back for more projects, please sign up for my DIY tutorials at the bottom of this page!

Today I'm using the leftover succulents from her mail order garden to create a succulent garden in a lantern.

I had 2 copper lanterns in my basement that came from Target several years ago. It pays in one way or another to collect a lot of stuff! 

I am not doing anything to update these lanterns because I love the vintage copper color. 

To add succulents to the lanterns I needed to first build a foundation for the succulents to root. To make the sphagnum moss damp I soaked it in a bowl of water then squeezed out the excess water. 

I used gutter grating to form a pocket and filled it with damp sphagnum moss. I wrapped the grating around the moss to create a pile. 

I used a chopstick to create holes in the moss for the succulents. They will eventually take root. 

After I filled the moss with succulents, I wrapped the pocket with green moss that comes in a sheet. I cut a long strip and wrapped it around the metal grating then used a pin to secure the end. 

The next step was to put the pocket into the bottom of the lantern. 

A quick spray of water will keep the succulents hydrated as they take root in the moss. 

The next step is to fill the lantern with my secret weapon. It is just enough light to fill this lantern with magic! 

Please visit Homeroad.net for more details on this succulent lantern planter and many more DIY tutorials by visiting the GO BOX at the bottom of this post.

Homeroad

• Lisa

This is great!

• Jewellmartin

Somehow I convinced myself that succulents needed less light than other plants their size to thrive. Silly rabbit. Hence my one succulent on the bathroom counter that is leggy, in the bathroom without a window. I’ve got a lantern, lights, and, now, I have the knowledge to make a succulent lantern. Thanks!

• Homeroad

You are so welcome! I am no plant expert but my daughter is. I'm the brains behind the DIY and she is the plant lady :) Good luck with your project!