Antique Suitcase Gets a Makeover

$20

This post is a little DIY inspiration as we take an antique piece and give it a totally new purpose. An antique suitcase gets new look, as it maintains it’s integrity but definitely looks chic, hip, and fresh.

https://www.gullycreekcottage.com/antique-suitcase-gets-new-look/

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Before it all started!

A friend had an old suitcase that had been in her family for many years and she wanted a use for it, instead of having it tucked under a bed.

I took it and made it into a small accent table with minimal effort.

The before and after ----this suitcase had seen better days! Now it's useful and adorable!

How the suitcase looked when I got it. I removed the hardware to clean it. I wiped down the entire piece and sanded it lightly before applying 2 coats of chalk paint I mixed up. (Dove color)

The suitcase drying after the first coat of painting and ready for a 2nd coat.

Antique table legs found at our local antique store. Wiped them off and sanded lightly before 2 coats of paint.

Trimming the legs for the perfect height prior to the painting.

After two coats of paint and ready to attach leg hardware

Drilling on the hardware for the table legs and drilling holes for the screwing mechanisms

Stencil for the top lid

Stenciled using antique medium in mahogany

Putting all the shiny (freshly polished) original hardware back on.

I loved the way the table turned out. It is now a perfect functional piece that will get lots of use.

With new paint, table legs and shiny hardware- she looks stunning.

The inside bottom was lined by decoupaging scrapbook paper for a more finished look.

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Gullycreekcottage

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

It’s absolutely gorgeous! Might I ask where you got the beautiful stencil?

• Ginger
    Ginger

Hey, you could also replicate this using an old dresser drawer and making the lid out of scrap wood. Oh my, the creative juices are going mad! End tables ??? HMMM!

• Judy Persohn
    Judy Persohn

How nice!! I love this piece. Your work is beautiful.

I have an old steamer trunk complete with compartments, drawers, and fixed hangers. Lined with blue velvet. Out side is black with the straps and old nail head studs. Any Ideas on how to remove the weird ball thing inside which holds a big mold smell. It is also covered in velvet. Any suggestions? I really want to add this as a table in one of my rooms.

• Kyralee
    Kyralee

Absolutely love it! You've given me some inspiration. I have a small wooden suitcase that I would love to turn into a table-top box like this with maybe some small bun feet. Yours turned out so nice.

• Gullycreekcottage
    Gullycreekcottage

Thank you Kyralee! Hope you share pictures of how yours turns out!