How to Stencil Your Floor

$120

Just because you're not in love with your floor, doesn't mean you have to just live with it. Especially if the floor is still in great condition. Instead, you can paint and stencil a new design to breathe new life into your space.

Stenciling the floor was not only so easy, it made a huge impact.

Tile floor before.

First step is to completely clear out the room, fix any noticeable damage, and clean the floor really well.

Paint the floor with bonding primer to adhere the paint to the tile. After the proper dry time, paint with the base color of your choice in Valspar Porch and Floor paint.

After allowing the floors to fully dry, pick a color to compliment the space. Using a foam roller, go over the stencil being careful not to push the paint and cause bleeding.

Here's another project and more unclose pictures for stenciling.

For the edges where there is a partial tile, wait until you have stenciled the entire floor. Then you can either cut the stencil or simply fold it to get into those spaces.

Once the stencil is done and fully dried, follow up with a clear polycrylic in a matte finish. For a more information and tips, head to the full article.

https://www.homes.com/blog/2019/06/updated-flooring-for-under-200/?cmp=HDC-BrookeCribbs-UpdatedFlooring-07012019

CribbsStyle

• Mamma

Can you post a picture of how it has held up since you did this. How do you keep it from not having a foot traffic worn area?

• CribbsStyle

I’m only a few months in and only one tile has a couple scratches and it was something my kiddos did. Otherwise it’s held up the same as the picture shown.

• Ezg9606839

can this be done on a cement floor. Would I use the same paint or you something specifically for cement

• Grizzoid Carter

Yes, it can. I sanded concrete first with medium grit sandpaper. Then cleaned with a degreaser to make sure nothing would prevent paint from adhering. I used heavy duty porch paint as my base coat and acrylics for the stencil colors. Because of high traffic area, I made sure to put 3 coats of sealer as recommended by local paint store. It has held up well. Also, I did use a dehumidifier to dry out the concrete before, during and after all steps. I live in the deep South where humidity is heavy.

• Grizzoid Carter

Did you find the centerpoint of the room and start stenciling there or did you start just next to a wall

• CribbsStyle

I stenciled each tile as is. I didn’t change the pattern. So I started in the corner and worked around.

• Lynn Duncan

This is beautiful - thank you

• Sally Gillies

Whoever built out house never cooked! White tile in the kitchen is REALLY hard to keep clean. Your idea is fantastic and I thank you for such clear directions. Now, if I can just send hubby on a short trip somewhere!

• CribbsStyle

That is just the sweetest, thank you!!!! Good luck and would love to see what you do!!