White Christmas

$10

I don't know what it is about a flocked tree, but for me, I'm totally smitten. I know it's a love or hate thing with most people, but I'm all in.

I have a small tree that is going into my shop as a display piece to showcase some beaded charms. I thought the flocking would really help them to stand out. Here's the easy way to flock...

Let's begin with the little tree. It's about 4 foot tall and not very round. Perfect for the shop since that is pretty small too!

Here are the supplies. A spray bottle of water, a large hand held sifter, and a bag of Sno-Bond. You might want to throw in some rubber gloves, an apron, and a filter for your nose and mouth.

This is definitely an outdoor project in terms of mess and safety!

I put the lights on my tree before flocking. This camouflages the wires nicely and gives the lights a soft glow.

Spray a section of the tree with water.

Put some Sno-Bond in the sifter and sprinkle over the wet area. You can make it as fine or heavy as you like.

Follow up with another spraying over the flocked area. This will set the snow.

Go over the entire tree until you have the desired effect. You can always add more if you decide you want a heavy flocking.

Be sure to store your Sno-Bond and sifter together in a safe place away from pets and children. Do not use the sifter for any other purpose!

I wrote the directions on a ziplock bag.

It turned out nicely. Now it needs to set for 24 hours before decorating.

The "snow" should be very attached to the branches, with some, but minimal, shedding.

• Fran Rupley

Can I use this on a live potted tree, will it wash off with no ill effects on the tree?

• A

Not sure about that. I would err on the side of caution and stick to artificial trees.

• Dmarandino63

I am going to try this for sure!!! Where can I get the snow bond????