Twin Bed Paint Makeover

$40

I bought the twin headboard and footboard at a local flea market/antique shop. The bed had a wood ship applique in the center of the headboard. This calls for a masculine paint color. How about Navy!

I love painting solid wood furniture but it's really hard to find. I paid either $20 or $25 for the bed. I really can't remember I just know it was very inexpensive.

The ship applique is what drew me to the bed. It's a great focal point.

Paint and a bit of distressing was just what the bed needed to bring it back to life.

The paint is Beyond Paint , color Navy. I love that it is a primer, paint, and sealer all in one. The brush is from Zibra.

I applied two coats of paint.

Once the paint was dry I sanded all of the spindles and the wood applique by hand. It took a while but it was worth it.

You can't have all those lovely details and not highlight them. Distressing paint adds depth and character.

Next I waxed the bed to darken the raw wood where it was sanded. Buffing the wax after 20 minutes or so was the final step to this makeover.

Don't you guys think this is the perfect bed for a little boy? Hey, it's already distressed too. You know little boys are a bit rough.

One reason I distress painted furniture is because most painted furniture will eventually get a few scratches and dings.

The headboard and footboard didn't come with rails. I bought a used set at a junk shop for $10 and we purchased wood 1x4's at Home Depot to cut 6 slats for the bed.

I use a handmade quilt as a comforter on the bed. For a boy's room you could also go more rustic with a quilted comforter or buffalo check spread. For more photos and makeover details visit the blog here.

Kathy Owen

• Judy Persohn

Beautiful. Not that I'm creative enough to come up with such a great idea, but did you ponder detailing the little ship?

• Kathy Owen

Actually I did. I painted it navy then dry brushed it white. It didn't look good at all. I painted it all white and still didn't look good. I painted over all of that with navy paint and distressed it like the rest of the bed.

• Joanie

I love the blue and I love the finished project!! Great job!!

• KATHY KRAMER

I absolutely love this project! Beautiful. The quilt looks fantastic with it. I have not seen a bed with the ship detail on it. I am jelli! We live by a lake and our decor style is “vintage lake”. Enjoy your treasure!