Twin Bed Paint Makeover

$40

I bought the twin headboard and footboard at a local flea market/antique shop. The bed had a wood ship applique in the center of the headboard. This calls for a masculine paint color. How about Navy!

I love painting solid wood furniture but it's really hard to find. I paid either $20 or $25 for the bed. I really can't remember I just know it was very inexpensive.

The ship applique is what drew me to the bed. It's a great focal point.

Paint and a bit of distressing was just what the bed needed to bring it back to life.

The paint is Beyond Paint , color Navy. I love that it is a primer, paint, and sealer all in one. The brush is from Zibra.

I applied two coats of paint.

Once the paint was dry I sanded all of the spindles and the wood applique by hand. It took a while but it was worth it.

You can't have all those lovely details and not highlight them. Distressing paint adds depth and character.

Next I waxed the bed to darken the raw wood where it was sanded. Buffing the wax after 20 minutes or so was the final step to this makeover.

Don't you guys think this is the perfect bed for a little boy? Hey, it's already distressed too. You know little boys are a bit rough.

One reason I distress painted furniture is because most painted furniture will eventually get a few scratches and dings.

The headboard and footboard didn't come with rails. I bought a used set at a junk shop for $10 and we purchased wood 1x4's at Home Depot to cut 6 slats for the bed.

I use a handmade quilt as a comforter on the bed. For a boy's room you could also go more rustic with a quilted comforter or buffalo check spread. For more photos and makeover details visit the blog here.

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Kathy Owen | Petticoat Junktion

• Judy Persohn
    Judy Persohn

Beautiful. Not that I'm creative enough to come up with such a great idea, but did you ponder detailing the little ship?

• Ann
      Ann

You did a great job...love the color choice & perfect amount of distressing! If it was my piece, I might use a little copper embellishing wax...or keep it simple & just lightly dry brush the high points on the ship with a slightly lighter blue, or gray, or a metallic! Just enough to give the ship a little more pop and stay in line with its new overall beauty. The best part is there is no right or wrong....your bed, your preference, your lovely creation! :)