Jessica C
Jessica C
  • Stoughton, WI

Painted Velvet Chairs

We have had these velvet chairs for a number of years. I hated to get rid of them because they were in such good condition. The dated upholstery was my only issue with them. So, I decided to paint them and give them a new look.
painted furniture velvet chairs, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
The chairs were clean, solid construction, and had no rips or tears in them.
I used Rustoleum's Automotive spray paint designed for fabrics and vinyl. Each chair got two coats of paint, it took 3 cans to cover each chair.
I had removed the skirts on the bottom of the chairs before painting, then added some decorative nickel nail heads after they were painted.
I love how they look. They will have many more years of use in our home! More tips on the blog.

Jessica C

• Sam Bo

Did you wet down the chair first? Can you give me specifics on how you did this. I've seen it done with chalk paint and I don't know what it involves with a can of spray paint because of the nap of the velvet. Thanks for any information. T
    hey turned out wonderful!

• Vonnie

I love how these turned out. I am pretty new to dig stuff, but am 64 and been doing things on my own. The concept of painting a chair was totally foreign to me. I have a mauve chair that I love (except the color). Can you wash the cushion cover after painting? Thanks a lot for sharing this.

• Jessica C

@Vonnie Good question! I am not sure about washing the cushions. I think you could spot clean them without any problem, worse case scenario you may have to touch up the paint a bit. I don't think I would put the entire cushion in the washer though.

• Vicki

OMGoodness, I have almost same like your's that I got from my mom's. it came with ottoman. Same color velvet & i really did not want to donate it due to blue color that is not matching with my current colors. thank you for sharing. Now i can keep my mom's chairs to paint to match with the rest of my furniture. whew.

• Jessica C

That's a sweet story! So glad you are going to keep them and enjoy them.