Candle Holders

$0

After having these two old banisters, I finally decided to make candle holders with them. Unfortunately I did not take a picture before I cut them but this is basically what they looked like and what I did:

I found this pic online but this is what it looked like. I cut the top off and a section of the middle to make it shorter. I cut different lengths on each so that one would be taller than the other.

I might use this for some other project. We'll see.

So next thing I did was to attach the pieces. I drilled a hole to insert a piece of wood and used glue. After it was very dry, I used putty to cover the "imperfect" cut and then sanded the entire piece.

I then painted the two pieces with white paint.

After the white paint, I dry-brushed some metallic blue and turquoise.

When it was dry, I added some metallic brown with glaze to "age it".

Making sure to put a lot into the grooves and always applying the paints in the same direction.

I used sand paper to distress it a little.

And the last thing I did was "dry brushed" some gold but using a round sponge.

Here is the end result. As you can see, one of them came out a little crooked. I think next time I will only use glue and not the wood pieces to attach. Oh well, it is what it is and can't fix it now.

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items

• Ashley

What kind of glue did you use? After years of repurposing, and building furniture/decor, I've realized that it's almost never too late to make a corrective change, even a major one...You just have to be willing to break it all down, and start again, so to speak...In this case, you could cut or grind right through the putty, wood, and glue, on the crooked piece. Then sand down any uneven spots, including the piece of added wood, reglue the flat surface, and add new putty/retouch the paint once the repair has dried.

• Carolina

Yes, I could do that but don't feel like doing it  . On to something else now. I used wood glue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Short
    2 hours ago

What did your upstairs banister look like after cutting

• Carolina
      Just now

It was from another house not from mine. the entire stairs where replaced.