I found this pic online but this is what it looked like. I cut the top off and a section of the middle to make it shorter. I cut different lengths on each so that one would be taller than the other.
After having these two old banisters, I finally decided to make candle holders with them. Unfortunately I did not take a picture before I cut them but this is basically what they looked like and what I did:
I might use this for some other project. We'll see.
So next thing I did was to attach the pieces. I drilled a hole to insert a piece of wood and used glue. After it was very dry, I used putty to cover the "imperfect" cut and then sanded the entire piece.
I then painted the two pieces with white paint.
After the white paint, I dry-brushed some metallic blue and turquoise.
When it was dry, I added some metallic brown with glaze to "age it".
Making sure to put a lot into the grooves and always applying the paints in the same direction.
I used sand paper to distress it a little.
And the last thing I did was "dry brushed" some gold but using a round sponge.
Here is the end result. As you can see, one of them came out a little crooked. I think next time I will only use glue and not the wood pieces to attach. Oh well, it is what it is and can't fix it now.