Super Easy 4 Seam Reversible Curtain for Kitchens and Bathrooms

$40

Are you a little bit scared of sewing like I am? If this describes you, this is something even you can do.This curtain is for the complete novice. Here's the final product and then I'll share the steps.
The supplies you need are:
  • Fabric - This curtain looks best if you have two fabrics, but it can also be made with one if you prefer. Measure the length and width of your window inside the frame. Add 1 1/2 inches to the width. Add 4 1/8 inches to the length to decide who much fabric to buy.
  • Spring rod
  • Thread
  • Sewing Machine

Steps to Make the Reversible Curtain.1.) Wash your fabric especially if the curtain will be in a splash zone like a kitchen or bathroom.
2.) Get a straight edge. If your fabric has a lot of pattern this can be harder. You can do it with a yard stick and a pencil or by pulling a loose thread from a frayed edge.
3.) Measure and mark the width of both fabrics using this formula: Width of window inside the frame + 1 1/4 inches
4) Measure and mark the length of your fabric, one side is longer so there is a border on the top. You need to know the distance around your rod plus 1/2 inches for ease.Inside Fabric Length = window length + distance around the rod + 1/2 inches for ease + 5/8 inches for a seam allowance.Outside Fabric Length = window length + 5/8 inches for seam allowance + 1/4 inches for ease
5.) Cut your fabric after you've marked these measurements.
6.) Press fabric with right sides together.
7.) Sew a straight seem down one of the vertical sides. Make the seem at 5/8 inches from the edge. After you sew one side, press your new seem flat.
8.) Turn your fabric back to right sides together and sew the other side vertical seam at around 5/8 inched. When you're finished flip the fabric with right sides facing out and iron.
9.) Sew the bottom seam allowing for a 5/8 inches.
10.) Lay your curtain on a table with the longer fabric on the bottom. Fold the top over until you get the correct length for your curtain. Turn the bottom edge under to make a finished edge. Press the fold under and then sew the bottom seam.
Now you can insert the spring rod and hang you curtain. I tied back the corner with a tack, but you could use a button or even velcro.
Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you like it.

Andrea

• Andrea
    9 minutes ago

Interesting idea! I'd love to see a photo of how they turn out.

• Andrea
    11 minutes ago

Glad you liked it. I hope you will post a photo of yours if you make them.