Winter Birch Wood Wreath

$0

I am a HUGE fan of having a wreath on my front door. My door is plain and white, and anything that adds a pop of colour or some interest to this bland entryway is GREAT in my books!

Find more great DIY Home Decor and Renovation ideas on our blog, Love Create Celebrate!

Every time we are in the garage working, the dogs follow us around! so they get to be models to show off the sizes of birch branches we used. Luckily we live in the country, so we were able to get grab these out of our yard!

Step 1: Decide how big you wanted the wreath. I decided that 5” on each edge would be big enough. Then you have to cut the wood pieces. Originally I was going for an octagon, so I had my husband cut the pieces at a 22.5 degree angle.

Step 2: We cut one side of the birch branch using our mitre saw, then flipped the branch and marked 5” from the outside edge. Then cut the wood at the same angle, so both the cuts went inward. We did this 8 times (and then later had to add a 9th piece because the wonky wood pieces don't make a perfect hexagon, lol).

Step 3: When we put the pieces together, the angles fit perfectly! But I neglected to think about the fact that the wood was in “wonky” shapes so the pieces fit nicely together, but didn’t quite close the wreath circle. To fix this, we measured the distance that was missing (another 5”) and cut one last piece at the same angles that fit in perfectly!

Step 4: Once all the pieces were lined up and appeared to fit nicely together, it was time to attach them. To do this I put glue on each side of the wood pieces, and used the air stapler to pop a staple into the wood from each outside edge of the wood pieces (each corner had two staples).

Since we added an extra edge, the wreath isn’t perfectly symmetrical, but I think I like it even better!

Step 5: Once the wreath was done, all I had to do was decorate it!

I used deep purple accents because I thought they still had a nice wintery feel. I used, purple flowers, twigs, purple raffia, and burlap to create my decorations. I simply attached everything with a glue gun and my beautiful winter wreath was good to go!

I LOVE that I can see the bark, and the knots in the wood, and the imperfections. What’s not to love about this rustic piece?!

Love Create Celebrate