DIY Faux Wallpaper... With a Sharpie!

$35

Hi! It's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. My two girls and I are currently working on their big girl bedroom makeover. We were originally planning to use floral wallpaper on one accent wall. But there was a lot of drama over choosing just the right wallpaper. So finally it occurred to me that I could draw my own faux wallpaper print on the wall instead! What's the worst thing that could happen, right?And guess what? We love how it turned out! So today I want to show you how to make your own faux wallpaper accent wall with a Sharpie! Really!This is before... I know it wasn't that bad, but we're going through a style change, and the kiddos really had their hearts set on bunk beds, so it was time for a makeover.
I started by painting the light blue walls my favorite white- Polar Bear from Behr. I chose an eggshell finish, which worked really well for this project. If you plan to draw on the wall with a Sharpie, I wouldn't go any shinier than eggshell because the marker won't perform well.
I started experimenting with my print on paper, and I made sure I had at least five different flowers and vines to add variety to the pattern.
I started by drawing bunches of the main roses and their leaves. As you can see, they're very loose and really simple. Some bunches had two, and some had up to four roses. I tried to space them out over the whole wall.
Once the roses were done, I started to draw the long, winding vines around them. Once that was finished, I moved on to the next flowers.
It's not perfect, but that's kind of the whimsical look I was going for. And of course the kiddos weren't going to let me have all the fun!
I even hid a couple of alpacas in with the flowers to surprise the girls!
And that's it! You can follow along with the rest of the bedroom makeover here. We'll be doing an upholstered window seat, throw pillows, desks, and even a DIY chandelier!
Don't be scared. Try it! For more fun kids' decor ideas, come check out my blog!

Jessica Welling Interiors

• Kay

I saw your project somewhere a few days ago but cant remember where.. so glad I found it again. Your girls must be very proud to have helped design and execute such a fantastic design. The black and white gives a contemporary look with the bright colors. Looks such a happy, uplifting space to be. I absolutely Love the whole idea, its Gorgeous

• Itsmemic

I love this idea !!!Looks so cool and so creative !! Great job mom !