Double up Kitchen Counter Space With This Easy Crate Coffee Station!

$70

Raise your hand if you too have a small kitchen! I can so relate.
So when I got a new case of organic tea for Christmas, I knew I had to maximize my kitchen coffee station space so I didn't have everything just sitting all over the counter eating up space! Kitchen clutter is not my thing.
Digging through my junk stash, I came across a large Ikea crate. Hmm... would this idea work?
I personally love a rustic crate look so I decided to really ramp it up to suit the idea I had in mind!
Coffee time is now officially functional, cool, and my lovely new tea has a new home!
Here's what I did...
(full details are included in my blog link at the bottom of this post)
Ikea carries the BEST crates!
They come unassembled and unfinished, so I stained this crate, then assembled it with a cordless drill.
Next up, I cut a fence plank to the desired width of the crate and painted it black.
This would create a very simple but effective shelf.
Full details on the shelf install can be read through my blog link below.
Next up, it was time to really make this little crate sing!

I used a mix of 3 stencils from Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils HERE to decorate the crate in a coffee and crate theme!

Stencils used: Fresh Coffee / Shipping Crate Stamps / Valentine Crates - direct links to each stencil are included in the blog post link below.
The sides and inside the crate were stenciled in black to resemble authentic crate stamps. Isn't in the cutest?!

How to stencil:
  • Load your brush with paint
  • Remove most paint so your brush is dry-to-the-touch
  • Tap or swirl images onto your surface

To view the actual stencil process, view the video inside my blog post link below.
And here's the finished crate! Those stencil details really make this project sing, don't you think?!

Then I loaded up my new coffee station crate with a few of my favorite coffee essentials and BOOM!

I ended up with the coolest rustic coffee station in the land, easily tripling up the counter space I would normally have!

This crate would also look adorable hung on a wall, or even positioned vertically. Crates make awesome instant shelves and are so very cool and handy to have!
Visit my blog post HERE to see how it looks in my kitchen with my tea! Post also includes stencil links, and a video of the stencil process.

Visit other creative coffee-themed projects HERE, from trays, to signs to mug holders, etc! You might say I'm a little coffee-addicted...

How have you set up your own coffee station? Think this idea may work for you?

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna