Operation Functional Closet Space

$225

We all have that one child who refuses to use their hangers leaving the floor covered or the closet a mess. Turn that wasted closet space into something more useful

Step 1 the before

Start by removing all items from the closet including these existing shelf and hanger rod. In my case this was as simple as removing 3 screws on each side.

Step 2 build new shelf

In this step I cut 3 pieces of 1x4 pine board to line the upper portion this will hold a new shelf as well as hooks to use instead of hangers

Step 3 painted walls

Painted walls of closet using some left over paint from another project. This is a Sherwin Williams peppercorn. Also added to supports in this step these will support the hanging desk 1/2 black pipe and fittings sizing is specific to each project.

Step 4 desk build

Using a piece a 1x18 glued pine I cut to size needed in my case this was 4ft. leaving enough to support the side. This was the secured with screws to the supports added in the previous step. The 2 smaller shelves were added for decoration purposes

Step 5 stain

After adding some LED lights to make this space a little more bright and exciting I lightly ran a palm sander over everything as most of the wood was already smooth. Using a sponge brush I stained all wood using a min wax early American stain

Step 6 storage doors

In the final step I assembled some custom cabinet doors Using some left over materials to hide the items placed on the shelves added above. followed by moving all gaming equipment and decor into the space.

Finishing touch

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Quick view of every boys dream gaming area equipped with game chair and color changing lights

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Linda Brezovsky Hickson

Where did you put his other stuff? Couldn’t all fit in storage above could it? Fantastic job

• Mike

i did put two additional shelves above behind the doors for all of his misc things books games stuffed animals and toys. Sports equipment was moved to the garage and I added some hooks behind his bedroom door to hang coats and sweatshirts shoes stay downstairs in the mud room

• Lorinda Wente

you haven't seen him since, have you!?

• Gennel

Hahaha...that's how it would be for my boys. They'd only come out to get something to eat, that they'd carry back into their room.

• Cheryl Zeis

I LOVE what you did, but most closets don't have electrical outlets, so how did you handle that?

• Mike

This one didn’t either however there is a plug right outside. I simply peeled back the carpet a little and ran a surge protector into the closet and covered the cord with the carpet to hide it. Awesome observation I didn’t think to mention that.

• Thea

If you left the doors on you could have locked the teenager inside too!😂Just joking!

• Lisa West

Great job. O love when a slave can be turned into some thing fabulous and useful.