Garden Markers

$8

Hey! It's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. Garden season is in full swing, so today I want to show you how to make easy DIY garden markers out of paint stir sticks. These will add some serious class to your garden... not to mention helping you tell the difference between a hot pepper and a sweet one!

Gather Supplies.

I usually have a ton of unused paint stir sticks in the bottom of my painting bin in the garage. But they cost around 10 cents a piece if you need to buy some.

Set Up

Lay out your stir sticks on a drop cloth or a couple of plastic trash bags.

Apply Spray Paint

Shake the spray paint well, then hold the can about 10" away from the stir sticks. Move the can back and forth, overshooting the edges. The first coat is just a very light covering. Don't try to get full coverage.

2nd Coat of Spray Paint

Let that sit for about 10 minutes. Then come back and apply another coat, this time going for full coverage.

I get the best results when I let it dry overnight before flipping them over to paint the other side.

Apply Clear Sealer

Once both sides of the sticks are good and dry, apply a generous coat of clear coat sealer, using the same technique. When they're dry, flip them over to cover the other side.

Write Labels

Use a medium-tip white sharpie paint pen to write on the markers. The sealer helps the paint pen lines stay crisp, and not leech into the wood.

And You're Done!

Now stick them in the garden, and you're done! These make a nice homemade gift too, if you add a pair of gloves and a trowel!

Next, come check out our DIY vertical garden!

Jessica Welling Interiors