Quick. Easy. Cheap. Garage Door Update.

$30

Tutorial from Rachelle of Originally Worn on a quick, easy, cheap way to update your garage doors.

Reviving Pine Drive - Exterior 

Watch video tutorial here —-> https://youtu.be/9zOHBOFuhXg

Before

Hey friends! I have been chipping away at making our exterior have a bit more character. It is still a work in progress, but I couldn’t resist skipping over some more labor intensive projects for this super quick, cheap and easy garage door sprucing.

Here are the doors before. We have black shutters and window boxes on the other side of the house and needed some black down here to balance it out.

Add hardware

First thing I did was buy some “carriage house” hardware. This stuff comes in a variety of materials, styles and magnetic or screw in. I chose one that was plastic and magnetic. It wasn’t my favorite style, but at $11 a door, the price was.

I am very pleased with them though. They hold on strong, won’t rust, and again....are inexpensive.

Add faux windows

You could stop there, but I wanted faux windows. I had planned on doing a magnetic window, but I couldn’t find any in the size to fit my square well. So I came up with a new plan. In the end it was pretty simple and even less expensive then the magnetic windows.

I took high gloss, permanent vinyl and cut it to fit the inner squares of the door. Although you can’t see it in the photos, I went with high gloss for the reflection. Typically real garage windows are reflective. You could cut your vinyl in any shape or size that fits the style you want.

Here are the doors side by side, unfinished and finished.

And then both done. For about 10 minutes of work and $15-$20 per door I am happy with the update. 

Here is a view from the front yard... I doubt you would think twice about the doors being real or not while passing by. (Which is a good thing, lol)

Now onto finishing up the rest of our landscaping and painting... someday, one day, hopefully a day soon!

You can follow Originally Worn on Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest & Instagram for more tutorials and ideas.

Originally Worn

• Jeannie Pearcy

How would you do a single double wide door?

• Linda S

Did you cut your garage door to install the faux windows or how did you attach? We need this added feature and it looks great without the added expense.

• Linda S

I'm excited to try this. Are the magnetic pieces found at your local Home Depot or are they found online? What are these called so I can purchase. Thank you for your help.