How To Make A Pretty Pallet Planter

$50

I’ve got some pallets left over from making my pallet sofa last summer and have been looking for ways to use them up. What better than a pretty pallet planter for the area outside the door? Here’s how to do it, if you fancy making one yourself. It’s a really easy DIY and low-cost way to cheer up your outdoor space. You can fill it with anything you like – trailing plants or hanging strawberries would look great or if you fancy having lots of lovely herbs on hand you can make a herb pallet planter as I did here!

Note: This is an abbreviated tutorial. The full tutorial is far to long for me to reproduce on Hometalk, but you can find it and lots more photos by clicking the link to the full blog post at the bottom of this Hometalk post. Thanks for understanding!

Clean and sand the pallet

Once the pallet is dry, use a hand held sander to sand the front and sides of the pallet so that they are nice and smooth. Don’t forget to use a mask when sanding. Goggles are also highly recommended, there’s no telling when a splinter might shoot up into your face.

These are the supplies I used:

• Water and scrubbing brush or high-pressure cleaner (to clean the pallet)
  • Handheld electric sander (DE)
  • Sanding mask & goggles
  • Wire Brush
  • Paint (for outdoor use)
  • Chalk Paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Black planter lining or pool liner
  • Staple Gun (DE)
  • Chalk
  • Stencil (Optional)
  • Stencil brush

Paint the pallet

Two coats of paint are all it took to transform my pallet planter and now I can get stuck into making the planters.

Make the planting pockets

Starting in the middle of the slot, fold over the edge of the lining as if you are making a sewing seam and tack this to the edge of the pallet. Continue to fold and tack all the way around the slot until you are left with a pocket.

(Please read the blog post for a more detailed description of this step).

Measure and make signs for the pallet planter

After measuring, tape off the area to be painted and paint the sign in your colour of choice. I already had some of this Graphite coloured chalk paint left over from when I made my Giant Paper Bag so I used that for my signs. I gave the signs two coats of paint.

Add stencils and chalk words

I stencilled the pallet planter using the ‘Graphite’ chalk paint. Please see the blog post for more details of this process.

Once you’ve decided where all your herbs are going to go, write out the words in pencil first then write over the words with chalk – I’m using white for mine.

Add potting soil and herbs or flowers

Add a layer of planting earth to the bottom of each pocket planter.

Distribute your plants (see the blog post for my easy planting tip) to their respective pockets.

Water the pockets just enough so that the soil is damp.

Your planter is finished!

It’s easy to create a unique look in a little corner of your garden and I hope I’ve inspired you to have a go at making one of these pretty pallet planters yourself – happy planting!

You can watch the video of this project below.

WAIT! Before you go, I would love you to drop by my blog 'Chalking Up Success' for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest posts, DIY, inspiring home decor, and lots more! if you’re not part of our amazing creative community yet but would love to join us, you can sign up for the weekly newsletter through the form on the homepage – I’d love to have you on board.

By signing up, you’ll also receive a copy of the free ‘Furniture Flip Checklist’ and gain to access to all the other printables, e-books and labels in the VIP Resource Library. I look forward to seeing you soon!

Watch the tutorial from start to finish - please give it a 'thumbs up'  and comment if you like it.

Pin it for later

See more home home decor posts on the blog at:

Chalkingupsuccess.com/decor

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Chalking Up Success

• Lynn

what kind of chalk do you use for outside

• Chalking Up Success

Hi Lynn, I just use blackboard chalk because my planter is underneath a covered porch at the side of our house and doesn't get wet. I also like to change up the herbs so I don't want to use anything permanent. For a more permanent solution, you could use a white sharpie pen or white paint and then spray a coat of clear lacquer over the top.

• Beachkoz

What tool are you using (green-color Bosch) to attach the lining? Is that a stapler?

• Chalking Up Success

Yes, I explain it all more extensively in the blog post so don't forget to pop over there for the full tutorial. My tutorials are usually too long for me to post the whole thing on Hometalk - sorry!