Easy Cheerful Macrame Wall Hanging (with Naturally Dyed Rope)

$20

This was my first attempt at macrame and I absolutely loved making it! I didn't have any fabric dye at home, so had to get creative and use blueberries, hibiscus tea, coffee and onion peel to get colors!

I think it turned out lovely! I wrote a step by step tutorial how to make this macrame wall hanging on my blog, and here is a video tutorial on my You Tube Channel!

First row

lark's head knots all the way through.

Second + third row:

Horizontal double half hitch knots all the way till the end

You skip about 4 inches from the top, and make a row of double half hitch knot in the "wave" direction. Try to make transitions as smooth as possible. Mine isn't perfect, but oh well, it's my first time!

Make a triangle

Using square knots, make a triangle.

Next rows

Make few more rows with double half hitch knots.

TIP: Try to keep the same strength while making knots so they come up with the same size.

Add colorful thread

Take colorful thread (I dyed mine with coffee, hibiscus tea and blueberries) and do a "cobra weave" around 3 threads at a time.

Add a braid

Add a braid using a different color.

15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
April

• Cathy in Texas

How do I learn all those knots?

• Jennifer

When and how did you attached the fringe? I know how to do the fringe, but it doesn't look like you use the same left over string on the bottom and comb it.

• Dianne

Could you possibly let me know when you get those colors figured out? Those are what I have in my home and would love to try this project using those colors. Would yams/sweet potatoes give you a sort of terra-cotta color? Just a thought. Thanks!

• April

I will definitely make a post about it. I tried orange peel with carrots and turmeric. The color was bright orange but it faded over a week. I think sweet potato could be worth trying

• Peabutton's Mom

I never would have thought to overlay the macramè onto the base cording. Absolutely inspiring. Your work here is quite lovely.

• April

Thank you so much for saying that! I'm so happy you like it and hope it inspires you to do something similar!!

• Nancy curtis

This is really your first project you know the names you know how to tie the knot I don’t know how to do that so I could never do this as a project it would be great if you would’ve included with the video what a half double hitch is and the rest of the terms you used. People can’t attempt something as the first try when they do not know how to do them

• April

Hi Nancy! I’ve googled how to make all the knots! There are tons of very detailed tutorials How to make particular knots.

In the beginning of the video how I made this macrame I show how to make the basic knots, maybe not very detailed but I’m not an expert and there are a lot of people who can explain how to do certain knots so much better than me. I just wanted to show the design that I came up with after I learned how to make basic knots from the online tutorials.

I wish you good luck!