Turn Heads With This Hula Hoop Cake Stand

$20

Learn how to create a magical cake stand fit for a fairytale out of a summer time staple, a hula hoop! Yep, I made a stunning cake stand from a hula hoop, and you can too! It only takes a few items and a screwdriver to make a creative cake stand that will blow all of your party guests away. This cake stand is fully customizable so if pink flowers and gold spray paint aren’t your thing, you can make one that fits your aesthetic to a tee! Check out my step-by-step tutorial below to learn how to make your own!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Hula hoop
  • Craft knife
  • Spray paint
  • 2 pieces of 2”x2” lumber 21 inches long
  • Wooden oval plaque
  • Small piece of wood
  • Electric screwdriver
  • Screws
  • Floral garland
  • Sola wood flowers from Oh You're Lovely

Prep the Hula Hoop

Prep the Hula Hoop

I started by removing the sticker that covers where the ends of the hula hoop meet. 

Remove the Sticker

Then I removed the entirety of the material that covered the plastic of the hula hoop.

Paint

Paint

I spray painted both the hula hoops and the wooden pieces that would serve as the base. I had two pieces of 2”x2” lumber that I cut to 21 inches, an oval wooden plaque, and a small piece of wood that would lift the base up a bit but still be hidden underneath the oval plaque. 

DIY Cake Stand

Create the Base

Create the Base

Once everything was spray painted, I put it all together! I stood the hoop up on its end and placed the 21 inch pieces of lumber on either side. This part is easier if you have a second set of hands, but I managed to do it myself and I’m sure you can as well!

Screw Together

Then I removed the hula hoop, leaving the lumber where I had placed it, and screwed the small rectangular piece of wood on top of it.

Easy DIY Cake Stand

As you can see, I was very happy to see that my base was doing its job and the hula hoop wasn’t leaning one bit!

Screw on the Base

Finally I screwed the wooden oval on top with a screw spray painted gold to match.

Prep and Add the Garland

Add the Garland

Before attaching the greenery/floral garland, I prepped it first! I dyed my sola wood flowers using craft acrylic paint and then hot glued binding wire to the backs of the flowers. Then I attached the flowers to the garland by twisting the wire around it.

Now that we have our garland prepped, I used zip ties to connect the piece to the hula hoop. I’ve found that it looks best if you have the garland coming over the top center of the hoop a bit.

DIY Hula Hoop Cake Stand

All that’s left was to add a cake and voila, a stunning hula hoop cake stand! How would you decorate your own hula hoop cake stand? Let me know in the comments below!

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Stefanie -Oh You're Lovely

• Z

Can the hoop be taken off the Base for easy storage