Create a Designer Cupcake Stand for Under $20

$20

Need a colorful, customizable cake plate for an upcoming event? This project is for you! I love IKEA’s products, but some of them are a touch simple for my taste. When I saw this tiered glass cake stand I knew that I could create something beautiful that fit my style to a tee! The technique I’ll be showing you today is not food safe, however, it’s not really a problem as we’ll be decorating the bottom side of the plate. Because the plates are glass it will show through from the top and look tremendous! Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to make your own today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• IKEA Kvittera tiered cake plate
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Alcohol ink
  • Blue shop cloth
  • Washi tape
  • Blu Tack
  • Heat gun
  • Kamar varnish
  • Spray shellac

Clean the Plates

Clean the Plates

As always, whenever working with glass, make sure to thoroughly clean the surface. I used a bit of isopropyl alcohol and a blue shop cloth to wipe down the bottom of the plates. If the plate isn’t clean, you run the risk of there being bubbles or spots where the alcohol ink won’t stick.

Tape

Tape

Once everything was completely clean, I taped along the edge of the top side of the plates. I also plugged the hole in the center of the plates with Blu Tack. This would prevent any of the alcohol ink from dripping down when I decorated it. If it does happen to drip down, it’s easy to just wipe it off, but I wanted to save myself some time if possible. 

Add Alcohol Ink

Add Alcohol Ink

Tip:

When working with alcohol, make sure to work outside or in a well-ventilated area. If this isn’t an option, you can use a mask that filters the air. 

Add Ink

I added some random stripes of color with the alcohol ink. 

Add Alcohol

Then, using a pipette, I squirted isopropyl alcohol onto the plate, which moved the ink around a touch. 

Use a Heat Gun

Next, I took a heat gun and blew the ink around a bit and dried it in place at the same time.

Add More

Then I added a bit more alcohol and repeated the process. If you’re unhappy with how it looks, all you need to do is take a cloth and wipe it off.

Dry

As you can see, the washi tape came off in the process. Not to worry, I’ll just wipe off the top of the plate before I set the ink.

Alcohol Ink Tutorial

I repeated this process on the smaller two plates. There is no right or wrong to this project, as long as you like the finished product any decoration is the right one!

Seal

Seal

Once I was happy with how my plates looked, it was time to seal them. I used a spray called Kamar Varnish. Once again, make sure that you are working in a well-ventilated area when using a product like this. I did a few coats of the varnish to make sure that everything was completely sealed.

Shellac

Then I added several coats of spray shellac to the plates. This will protect the bottom of the plates from any scratches or nicks that may occur when using them. 

DIY Alcohol Ink Tutorial

I tried the same technique on a vase. I used the ink on the inside of the vase and then added a layer of gold spray paint, creating a stunning effect on the outside, with a gold background added to the turquoise ink. You really can play around with all kinds of effects with this alcohol ink technique!

Put It All Together

Wipe Clean

The final step before I put everything back together was to clean off any alcohol ink that happened to get on the top of the plates. These plates will be hand wash only, so make sure that they don’t end up in the dishwasher. 

Put It All Together

Then I put it all back together. 

Designer Cupcake Stand

Sometimes, when you do a DIY project, it comes out way better than you could have ever imagined. This is one of those occasions! I am simply blown away by how incredibly beautiful this project turned out! I’m sure I’ll be making quite a few to give to family and friends. How would you use this alcohol ink technique? Let me know in the comments below!

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Fiona Debell

• Peggy Thomas Looney

Why is there a tiny puppy on the top platter? 😉

• Peggy Thomas Looney

It is adorable!! And pretty sure it’s not a real puppy 🤣, those treats are stacked perfect!

reminded me a friend who has poodle and had a flower arrangement made to look like the dog. (And it was a replica) Hilarious

• JR

Very nice! I’ve made my own alcohol ink.

99% isopropyl and a permanent marker. You can use cheap ones from the dollar store. I put the isopropyl in a container then broke apart the markers to take the ink soaked insert out and put that into the isopropyl. (You can just put the marker into the isopropyl tip down, but you don’t get as deep a colour and it’s not like you’ll ever be able to use the markers again.)

• Ronald Ferreira

beautiful gloves