Limed Oak Table--The Easiest Makeover

$12

This limed oak table is a simple makeover. Try it on a piece of furniture that might not be your style, or maybe needs a little updating.
Find Your Piece
I found this little set of nesting tables on Marketplace. The set was about $40, not too bad considering they are solid oak. I knew when I bought them, that I would not leave them with the golden oak finish. While I acknowledge that the finish is beautiful, it is just not my style or my favorite.All of the trim in our house is that golden oak color, so I get my fill of it’s beauty:) However, I didn’t think I wanted to paint these. My hope was to just lighten the finish and maybe give them a bit of an aged look. I didn’t yet know I would do a limed oak finish.
The look I was going for was like what you see at Ballard Designs. That white grain look on a stained piece of furniture. After trying a few products, I found THE BEST and easiest way to achieve that limed oakBriwax Liming Wax is what I used. This stuff is amazing and wonderful! I tried it on two of the tables. One I sanded a bit and one I left with the glossy polyurethane finish. There is absolutely no reason to sand. After trying both, the one I sanded looks no better than the one I left with the glossy finish. Actually, it seemed to settle into the grain better on the one I didn’t sand.
Apply--Even over Polyurethane
You heard me right, you can apply this over a piece that has not been stripped or sanded! You can go from an orangey oak finish to a limed oak wash finish in less than an hour! It’s almost too good to be true!This is so simple! The wax is light and fluffy, it comes out of the can so easily. Just dip your rag, or your old sock, or your son’s old sock (ahem) in the wax. Wipe some on the table. Work it into the grain. Then flip your sock over and buff it a bit with a clean part. That’s it…really! That is all there is to DIY a limed oak table!
Wipe Around
Work into the grain
Buff with a dry cloth
I am so pleased with the finish. It really toned down the orangey hue of the end table. I wish I would have started this way. Unfortunately I nearly ruined one of the tables by trying to strip it and get that lovely raw wood look. Stripping furniture is not my jam! I am way too impatient for that!
How will this hold up? I really think it will hold up pretty well. Of course, this is an end table, so it gets the occasional dusting, but it isn’t a highly used piece of furniture. However, it did dry solid and smooth, so it’s not tacky at all.If you were wanting to do this on a dining table, I would imagine you would want to put a poly finish of some sort over it. I think the daily wiping would eventually wear away the finish.
Love DIY?
If you are looking for more DIY inspiration, visit my blog, The Everyday Farmhouse!

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Jenn Dynys

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

Very pretty. I have lime wsh paimf that my daughter picked up from home depot. Haven't used if yet. I will soon.

• Mary McIntire
    Mary McIntire

I think this is the solution I’ve been looking for. Thanks for sharing