How to Make Glass Fishing Floats (from Thrifted Lamps)

$20

This project combines two of my favorite home decor trends: coastal beach style and boho macrame crafts. It was inspired by some high end home decor products but it was created using thrifted parts and some basic craft materials. This glass fishing floats have become part of my favorite decorative items in my home. Make your own with these instructions and enjoy them too.

The base materials

This project started when I scored this outdoor lamp and a round vase at the thrift store. Rummaging through my own stash I found some more old dome shaped lamps that could work.

Turn your lamps and vases into vintage beauties

With modpodge and food coloring color the clear glass shapes from the inside.

Use craft paint to paint the colored shapes from the outside

This is a lamp cover I found in my basement. Every house int the fifties had at least one of these hanging in a hallway. Our thrift stores are still stuffed with them.

Macrame a fishnet around your globes

Tying and knotting a fishnet is the easiest macrame there is. It is basically just tying some loose strands of twine to a circle and then making knots at regular intervals between the strands.

Just look at the detail picture above and below and you will totally get what to do.

Just making simple knots is all the technique used in these fishnet covers for our fishing floats.

At the bottom just tie all the strands together and form a tassel of sorts.

Here are all my 'fishing floats' together on display. I shared some additional steps and more details in the original blog post so check that out if you want to learn more about how to make these:

How to make and display glass fishing floats

You might also like this beachy craft project:

How to Make Summer Beach Lanterns – the easy way

Or maybe you are in the mood for more boho vibe:

A Bohemian Christmas tree. Let’s do a tassel boho ornaments DIY

Everything Red For Canada Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Marianne Songbird