DIY Refinished Black Metal Bed

$40

We were blessed to have been given this beautiful, albeit old and rusty, metal bed for free by family. It was a full sized bed with a lot of potential, and perfect for our youngest daughter’s room refresh. It had sat in a shack by the lake for years, left to rot, before it finally made it’s way to me, and I was determined to give it new life. Here what we started with, with the addition of a little CitriStrip because I forgot to take a true before photo.

Strip The Paint

I used both the spray CitriStrip and the gel brush on kind to start peeling the old chipping paint. Applying and letting it sit until the paint bubbled, then scraping it off with a scraper and wire brush.

Pressure Wash

To clean up the leftover sludge from the stripper, and to clear away the rest of the white paint, I used a pressure washer.

Sand To Smooth

Under the paint I discovered the bed had been covered in some sort of brass-look finish that also needed o be removed, so I ended up using my orbital sander to sand the bed down smooth so it could not only take paint, but also so I could achieve a smooth final finish. 

Prevent Rust + Prime + Paint

I used a combination rust stop and primer paint to fully cover the bed both to protect it from future rust build up, and also to ensure the final paint would adhere well and be durable. Then I added 2-3 coats of my favorite Rustoleum Farmhouse Matte Black spray paint. It has the perfect matte finish, just a little touch of sheen, and a very modern look. 

Done!

It worked perfectly in my daughter's big girl bedroom refresh.

You can purchase beds like this brand new from anywhere from $150-300. I was able to refinish this one for about $40. It was a lot of work and elbow grease, but it was beautifully satisfying in the end. 

For play-by-play steps on this project and more follow me at  The Barn Collective on Instagram, and see my  blog for more home DIY and lifestyle ideas!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen

• Dawn Baggett

Thanks! I have a couple old metal beds that I was waiting for cooler weather to refinish but have never done it before so this was good timing for me!

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan

I love wrought iron beds too. I have four in 3 bedrooms. They are so sturdy and worth anyone saving them. Great job on your bed! Giving you a tip I use. Hubby attached this brush on his cordless drill. I have used it on so many iron/metal projects. It works like a charm and gets the metal shiny in no time.