How to Make a Peace Sign for Christmas With an Old Wagon Wheel!

$30.00

Today I want to share a super simple DIY project that anyone can accomplish that will surely add to your holiday decor. Do you have an old wagon wheel hanging around? If not, maybe a trip to your local flea market, consignment store, antique store, etc.? They look beautiful decorated in white lights and made into a Peace sign. I made one last year and I received so many compliments on it. Everyone thought it was a Peace sign that I purchased. However it was just an old wagon wheel that the previous owners of our home left behind with white lights that I added to it.

Wagon Wheel with White Christmas Lights

Creating a Peace Sign using an old wagon wheel and white lights.

Wagon Wheel

I am going on the assumption that most vintage wagon wheels are about the same size. Therefore, to begin all you will need are 600 white lights. A box of 100 lights cost me $2.69 each at our local hardware store. So the total cost for this project was $16.14.

Christmas Lights

Christmas Lights needed.

Test the Lights

To begin, find a space that you can lay the vintage wagon wheel down on to string the lights. Before you begin, I recommend plugging in the lights to be sure they are all working. You never know and it would really be a pain if you strung all the lights on to find afterwards that one string isn't working...

How to String the Lights

To begin, you want to leave the plug side showing. That will plug into your extension cord.

Start wrapping the lights around the circumference of the entire vintage wagon wheel. I wrapped 10 times between each spool for a really full even look.

Stringing the Lights

Hold the lights tightly in a bunch, it will be so much easier to wrap the lights around the wagon wheel.

Stringing the Lights

Wrapping the lights around the wheel.

Wrapping the Lights

Keep wrapping until you are all the way around the wagon wheel.

Wrapping the Lights

Once you have completed the circle, it's time to start on the Peace sign part of it. Choose the spools that you want to use. One on top and two on the bottom. I started with the top spool and strung the lights tightly up that spool to the end.

Creating the Peace Sign

When you are done with the first spool, you may start the other two spools simply by bringing the string of lights underneath to the next spool. There's no reason to start a new light string.

Creating the Peace Sign

This is so easy and we have left the lights on the wagon wheel to use year after year outside during Christmas. We also hung it during the pandemic. It's so easy to create and makes such a bold statement for the holidays hung on a barn, house, tree, etc..

Christmas Wagon Wheel and Peace Sign

Completed Project.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Ann

• Glenda
    Glenda

I’m curious as to why you didn’t light up the center bar of the peace sign on the lower part

• Joanne
      Joanne

...............not a peace sign, it's a Mercedes Benz sign..............!

• Anna Ibarra
    Anna Ibarra

Wow, if any year, we all need to display one like this. Just beautiful!

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
    GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Terrific idea. If ever we needed peace in this world, it is NOW! ✌🏻 Right on!

• Ann
      Ann

Thank you so much. Happy Holidays ☮️