Are these spindles load bearing?

+25

I would like to remove these spindles but am unsure if they are load bearing or if removing would cause any issues.

q are these spindles load bearing
  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Dec 29, 2020

you would have to look up over the spot where they are in the attic to see if there is a beam or not - more than likely they are just for decoration

https://www.thespruce.com/determining-load-bearing-wall-1822005#:~:text=Generally%2C%20when%20the%20wall%20in,is%20parallel%20to%20the%20joists.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 29, 2020

Just looking at it I would say they're not at all loading bearing. I would believe there is definitely a beam there and its supported on either side of the spindles, all covered in sheet rock. But, I would take off some sheet rock from one of the side to be absolutely sure.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 29, 2020

Hi,

Without investigating, I would think they are not strong enough to be load bearing' If you can knock the middle one out easily because it is only fixed in between the top and bottom, then it cant be load bearing. If you drill a hole in the bulkhead above the spindles and you can see a Metal RSJ (Ridged Steel Joist) or a Heavy Wooden Beam. Then they are only decoration. Best wishes

• Mogie Mogie on Dec 29, 2020

Spindles are never used for load bearing. They would never handle the weight.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 29, 2020

Hi! No, they are just decorative. As for the wall, I have no idea. Unfortunately, people taking shortcuts have been known to cut into or take out load bearing walls. Stay safe!

• Chances are they're not, but I would check to be sure. You've been given some good options for finding out in previous comments.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 29, 2020

It is doubtful thin wood spindles could support the wall or ceiling

Likely with investigation they will be found to be decorative and a room divider function.

• They really look decorative. The header above them probably has a strong wooden or steel beam inside. I would peek first, but generally spindles like that are decorative.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Dec 30, 2020

These spindles could not support the beam above them, whether metal or wooden. You could bring in a contractor and have them check out the structure of the house or you could open up drywall and see what is under there. Even though I suspect they are there for decoration, I would make sure one way or the other before removing them.

• Maura White Maura White on Dec 30, 2020

They don't seem thick enough to be load bearing.

• Libbie B Libbie B on Dec 30, 2020

No, they are most likely decorative. Check to be sure.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 30, 2020

Hi Lisa, these are strictly for decor purposes, you can easily remove them, if you do that, you will need to fix of the areas they were attached which can be done easily by doing drywall mud and painting, or putting a decorative molding over the entire area at the top, there are some easy peel and stick ones out there.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ceiling-Flexible-Mouldings-Furniture-Decorative/dp/B078NPRXT1

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Dec 30, 2020

I think they are for decor only, but would check with a contractor to be sure

• they are most likely just decorative

• Dee Dee on Dec 30, 2020

The spindles are probably not load bearing but check the beam in the attic just to make sure. You do not want your ceiling or roof to cave in

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 31, 2020

I don't think so .. it seams you have header up top in that soffit

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 01, 2021

I seriously doubt it but you could remove them and add a small bookshelf on each side if they are. You have to examine from above to determine if they are but I’m not 100% sure how so don’t want to steer you wrong.

• Your best bet is to contact a structural engineer. They probably aren’t but it’s better to have a pro tell you than your house fall down.

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 01, 2021

Hi Lisa: Spindles are usually not load bearing as they are too small to hold up anything heavy. They are usually screwed in on one end, (the top) with a double wood screw, one end in the spindle the other into the frame. Then the other end has a "toed" hole that a screw is used to screw it solid, then a plug glued into the hole covering the screw head. I think they could be removed without a problem.

• I would say no. Spindles are usually decorative. Load bearing supports would be metal.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jan 02, 2021

I don't believe they are, but you could get a free consult from some builders to find out.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 02, 2021

Being in the architecture profession for 30 years, the spindles are not load bearing.

There’s a header above the opening that is carrying the load.

You can’t tear out the side walls of the opening without determining how long the header is and where its posts are.

• Em Em on Jan 02, 2021

To simplify 22 guess the answer is NO.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 02, 2021

The answer to the question is NO.

No need to check or investigate anything.

The header is carrying the weight.

• SL SL on Jan 03, 2021

We had these same spindles on a pony wall. They were not load-bearing but the wall above them was the spindles are just for decoration we took ours out and it made a huge difference.

• Mitchell Couch Mitchell Couch on Jan 03, 2021

Hi Lisa, I'm late to answer, but as everyone has said, these are not load bearing. You are given the green light to remove them. Good luck, I think it will look really nice without them there.