Faux Driftwood Sofa Table

$35
1 Day

I wanted a whole new beachy look for my Marketplace sofa table find.

I loved the style but not the color. I knew it could be really handy having that shelf on the bottom as well.

First things first... You have to clean. I found this new product (to me that is) by Krud Kutter that actually has a deglosser in it as well. Win-Win. After I cleaned it with a rag I let it dry for 10 minutes.

Ready to paint! I used one of my favorite paints by Retique It called Ivory Tower. It's the perfect off white. To save time.. I went ahead and used their new two-in-one paint called Ultratique. So no need to seal.

After my paint was dry I applied a coat of weathered wood gel water-based stain. I put a little on my rag and dragged it straight across. I didn't rub it in or try to make the lines disappear as well.

Here you can see even though it was a gray based stain it took on a light grayish-brown tone when applied over the paint. I let each layer dry thoroughly before applying more stain.

After my first coat of stain was completely dry I applied the black walnut water-based gel Stain in the same way. Making sure to keep my lines pretty straight.

Here you can see the difference with the Driftwood underneath the coat of black walnut. I made sure that I didn't cover everything perfectly. The imperfections is what makes it look good. If you wanted to add more layers you can..just make sure each coat is dry thoroughly before you apply another or it will pull the stain back off.

I sealed the top with Retique It water-based polyacrylic. Two thin coats is all it needed.

Here it is! What a big difference from the before picture right? I love that I was able to do this whole project in just one day. No oil-based stains that needed to dry for 24 hours. Yay! 🎉

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Sharon Lee
    Sharon Lee

2 questions:

Did you use just the ivory tower alone on the base?

How many cans of the ivory tower did you use on the total project?

Loved the look - can't wait to try it.

• Kellyduck
      Kellyduck

so glad I stumbled on this. I have looked at so many redos and have liked some but this is exactly what I envisioned. Hoping I can find these products in Canada

• Kellyduck
    Kellyduck

I LOVE this and am considering doing all my cherrywood furniture (oy, what a job) but yours looks so classy. I wondered the same thing as Sharon Lee, just the Ultratique Ivory tower on the bottom? One coat or two? how many cans for this one piece?

• Roberta
      Roberta

I used probably 8 oz for the sofa table and that includes the top. I only needed two coats on the top but I did use three on the bottom because it has the sealer in it.the Ultratique paint is a little more translucent than their regular furniture paint.

• Db
    Db
    4 hours ago

Don’t know how long ago you did this but, have you had any bleed through on the white portion? Love the result , doesn’t it just make the piece feel so clean ? I’m just loving the chalk paint and new stain choices to update the old. Love yours.

• Roberta
      Roberta
      26 minutes ago

I didn't get any bleed though. Yay!

Retique It has a great primer though if you know a piece will.

• Linda
    Linda

I usually love the look of wood grain, but you have brought this piece into the 21st century for a whole new lease on life. Nice!

• Kri49629406
    Kri49629406

I hate it when pretty natural wood is painted. Like I'm really weird about it. I have to admit -- your finished table is BEAUTIFUL! So, in this case I love BOTH the before and the after. Nice job!