Antique Dresser Refresh

4 materials
$80

A client I had in the past msgd me asking for a dresser for her master bedroom! Gave me the general idea of what she was wanting and I got to work on what I thought would be the best one for her.

Eventually I found the perfect one! And oversized antique! I love when clients get me to do something colour wise out of my comfort zone!

Here is the dresser before! Definitely in need of some work.

I primed this piece with zinsser bin shellac. Most antiques have a problem with bleeding tannins into your paint so I did a solid 3 coats on it.

It’s totally worth the extra amount of work to fully prime your piece or you run the risk of redoing all your hard work.

I do the drawers down quite a bit, there were some imperfections in the wood but a good sanding fixed that!

I used a combination of stain, early American and provincial. This wood didn’t take as dark to stain and some others wood would... (pun? Lol)

I sued behr paint (vine leaf) from homdepot mixed with bb frosch powder. I did roughly 2.5 coats of paint. Some spots needed more than others

I top coated with varathanes satin poly two times. And added new hardware handles from rona!

All in all I’m VERY happy with how it turned out and so is my client!

It looks amazing in her master bedroom!

Questions on this post

2  questions

Comments

10 of 18 comments
Next