Updated Laminate Desk

7 materials
$50
1 Day

I found a great desk, but the top was laminate. Not normally a problem when painting, but this time I wanted to use gray stain.

Before

I started the transformation by cleaning the desk really well with Krud Kutter. Then removed the hardware.

Sometimes I replace the hardware but in this case I decided to use what I had and just paint it. This paint is my favorite!

I found that when you spray your hardware... It's best to do it on cardboard. That way it absorbs the extra overflow. Plus it's a good way to recycle the flat boxes from the grocery store.

Since I was only going to have problems with adhesion the laminate top I used Retique It primer. This primer is wonderful. Unlike other primers that only work for one issue.. This primer works for adhesion and for bleedthrough. The only downfall is that it's hard to clean out of your brush, so I suggest using a cheap chip brush.

While I waited for the primer to dry I went ahead and painted the drawers with Retique It Snow paint and the base with Retique It Black Indigo.

I also painted over the primer on the top with the Snow paint. I needed to have a white base to make sure my stain stayed gray.

When I was done painting I sealed everything with Retique It Polyacrylic. I applied thin coats using a soft brush. You could also apply with a sponge.

Then I applied my stain. I made sure I pulled it across in straight lines. I also want to note that this will only work with gel stains or semi transparent stain like Varathane.

I let my first coat dry really well then applied a second coat. Doesn't it look cool? Kind of like driftwood.

I put back on the hardware and sealed over the stain one more time. I almost forgot..I did distress the edges a little bit with sandpaper.

Here's the final look of the top. My client couldn't be happier with the results! 😁

Most of the items I had on hand, so I estimated the price of the project on the amount that you would use of each product. Honestly I used very little of each product.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 19 comments
Next