James Bryan C
James Bryan C
  • Crab Orchard, KY

Tomatoes and their need for water

I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, May 28th 2012
May 28th 2012
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, End of June toping the 3 ft cage
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

• Juanette Stokes

How big is the circle of wire around the tomatoes?

• James Bryan C

@Juanette Stokes a four foot circle..... using 13 feet +- of wire..... cattle panels are easier though can pick them up at a tractor supply store or other farm goods store and last longer I use 2 16' panels and sandwich my tomatoes between them easy to gather and much sturdier than conventional cages

• Marlene Coetzee Burger

Can one apply the same to eggplants and sweet chillies?

• Bo Baines

How big are the holes and did you drill them or punch them Phil

• Steve

Why did you try to avoid getting water on the leaves?

• Dave Free

@Steve, Because wet leaves promote mold, fungus and blight, diseases that will injure the tomato plant and ruin the fruit. Cold rain and/or temperatures amplifies the effects.

• Steve

• James Bryan C

@Steve water on the leaves spreads fungus and blights... commercial growers always water at the root, you can not help rain water and can use a copper based fungicide (It's Organic) to help combat fungus, the other reason is water on the leaves evaporates rapidly and does not give the plants the water required to produce fruits, and those that are produced often are plagued with Blossom End Rot... which is a calcium deficiency that can be eliminated if the plant gets 5 gallons of water per week . This method produces deep root watering eliminates BER and helps the plant to produce an abundant crop of tomatoes for the home gardener.. a yield of 25lbs to the plant can be produced if you feed, water and keep an eye on other plant conditions throughout the growing season. 25lbs is the target most commercial producers expect per plant for the entire season...

• Carol

I don't see any blossoms or tomatoes. Too much nitrogen maybe?

• James Bryan C

@Carol On the photos here or on your tomatoes this year? Tomatoes and most blooming vegetables love phosphorus for bloom try adding a fertilizer with a higher middle number for the phosphorus.... for more bloom, but stake them heavy if you put additional phosphorus as you will increase yield if you keep up the water routine .... also if your plants are in shade you will see decreased blooming... I harvested over 25bs per plant on mine

• Michele

Once they get tall, how do you add water to the trash can?

• James Bryan C

@Michele I used a hose just put it into the bucket from the bottom of the plant

• Helen Caldwell

How did you get to the tomatoes to pick them?

• James Bryan C

@Helen Caldwell dug through the wire.... which is why I use cattle panels now for cages

• Sunny

@Helen Caldwell If you don't use big hole wire, then make two joins in the wire, so that you can pull it apart and enter from each side. If the circle of wire is supported by stakes all the way round it's much easier.

• La Quetta Ray

Are the tomatoes in the bucket holes? I've seen it done better on patios & balconies by arranging clay pots stacked. Just Google tomato planters or look on Pinterest app for DIY tomatoes planters.

• James Bryan C

@La Quetta Ray The tomatoes are planted in the ground surrounding the bucket... the bucket is used for feeding (compost) and watering 5 gallon of water per week per plant

• Cc

did you have any trouble with leaf blight? seems like there might be limited air flow around the plants.

• James Bryan C

@Cc No problem with leaf blight... I had planted a strain that had some resistance, but not getting the leaves wet help as well.... that year was a year of drought and I still harvested over 25 lbs per plant... I also follow the commercial standard of not pruning determinant tomatoes except for the lower leaves below the first bloom set...

• Cc

interesting! did you add fertilizer to the water in the bucket? if so, how much? can you provide my with the measurements of your bucket please? I have several different shapes 5 bucket pails and want to be sure I am selecting the correct planting/water source depth. thank you for sharing. also, do you have pix of you plants at the bearing stage?

• James Bryan C

@Cc 8 inches deep is all you need to plant the bucket in the ground... I use 5 gallon buckets now and limit my plantings to two plants per bucket and use a cattle panel available at tractor supply or other farm supply stores for around $20 for a 16 ft panel... your top holes are just barely above the ground so the plant gets water at three different zones and I use compost 2 scoops or shovels full and add the water weekly until I am tired of harvesting tomatoes

• Debbie

DID YOU ADD FERTILIZER AND HOW DID YOU DO IT

• James Bryan C

@debbie I added 2 shovels full of compost each week until bloom set.. adding the compost became difficult using the round cage which is why I advocate cattle panels available at tractor Supply Company for about $20 for a 16 ft long panel they can cut them into smaller sections for cage materials but adding compost until bloom set allows the plant to grow and helps with blooming after bloom set fertilizer does very little for tomatoes with one exception Indeterminate tomatoes will grow and grow and grow adding more blooms and tomatoes. I planted determinate varieties for a shorter harvest season but still harvested over 25lbs to the plant.. the planint shown yielded over 100 lbs of tomatoes that season

• Polly Zieper

I'm missing something here. If you wanted to plant tomatoes, and have the cages, why the small trash can? Whats its purpose?

• James Bryan C

@Polly Zieper you feed the tomatoes and water them through the can the can allows you to get the compost tea and water into the root zone virtually eliminating blossom end rot and funguses that attack tomato plants.. I harvested over 100 lbs of tomatoes off of those four bushes the trash can there was 13 gallons allowing me to get the plants the required 5 gallons of water per plant per week.. I recommend using 5 gallon buckets for two plants and I use cattle panels for cages available at Tractor supply store or other farm stores....

• Stephanie

Ok I know I'm going to sound stupid but how do you get the tomatoes out with out breaking the cage

• James Bryan C

@Stephanie reach ver the top and down into the bushes... But about oh a thousand posts ago I recommended 16 ft cattle panels available from tractor supply they are sturdy and last for years with large openings for harvest. I sandwich my plantings between the panels using 1/2" electrical conduit pipe for posts and have yet to have a problem using this system

• Katrin

istn´t it a problem that the tomatoes grow so close? In Germany we are told that each plant needs the airy place to allow the leaves to dry ( from the rain) Last year I unfortunately had a big problem with the rain and the brown rot ( even under a covered area. any tips? thankfully Katrin

• James Bryan C

@Katrin Tomatoes can grow closer than most people think; the problem is not so much from the rain Unless it is excessive then I don't care how far apart they are they will have problems, The biggest problem is not rain, but leaf watering late in the day.. I do not water leaves I water into the bucket to water the roots. I use copper fungicide to prevent mold and fungus which brown rot is... 90% of garden vegetables do better once you get the water down to the roots... and you eliminate fungus and in tomatoes blossom end rot

• Ear3881139

How to water tomato s

• James Bryan C

@Earlegurney put a hose into the bucket and fill it up.. the water drains out the holes that are drilled in the sides of the bucket

• Cherry

Hi James. You said you use copper fungicide to prevent mold and fungus which is brown rot. What brand do you use, what is the name of the product you use, how much and how often do you use it. How do you use it? I'm going to try your way to water tomatoes. I've even used the Tomato Planter that hangs and tomatoes grow upside down from the container.....they never produced well and there was fungus and brown rot on them. You water from the top of the container and the water flows down to the roots. I've not had any luck with that system. Since then I've planted a small garden outside which includes tomatoes. I want to get the most produce for my time and money. Any info you can provide me is most appreciated. Cherry

• James Bryan C

@Cherry I bought mine at Wal-Mart listed on the national organic program name was copper ??? Try to keep the leaves from getting excessive water, by that I mean you can not help rain water, but do not allow your watering program to get the leaves wet, keep the water down in the bucket, the holes drilled in the side are more than enough to water the plants at the surface for the shallow roots down 4 inches to water the sub soil roots zone and 8 inches deep to water the deep tap root zone and this root zone is where most of the minerals are leached down into. Loss of calcium causes Blossom end Rot where you have a real nice tomato on the surface but when you pick them the bottom side is rotted out. You can add calcium all you want but if the plant does not get enough deep watering (which most gardeners water the leaves and never get enough water per plant to get a really deep soil watering... then because of leaf watering they start getting fungus, because they water too late in the day and night time temperatures are in the right range to allow fungus to start... if you must leaf water, water early morning where the leaves will dry off before night fall....

• Cherry

@James Bryan C Thank you James. I'm excited about trying the bucket system for watering. Great idea!

• Tom Esposito

How do you get tomatos outta there without busting up branches?

• James Bryan C

@Tom Esposito see below I thought I had replied but it posted as the next comment

• Eric

Eric Hammond, WI You say to use a trash can. What size did you use ?

• James Bryan C

@Eric the one in the phot was 13 gallons it is easier to use a 5 gallon bucket and put it between 2 plants for the same effect

• Stephany Evers

what part of which country?

• Deb

Did you add the compost to the garbage can and then add water? Or did you put the compost around the garbage can on the outside. Just want to clarify.

• DIY toady

What kind of compost do you use and how much for a 3 gallon bucket?

• James Bryan C

@DIY toady any kind of compost will do homemade is best use 1 /2 gallon appx for a three gallon bucket... 3 gallon is about right for 1 plant 5 gallon bucket for 2

• Noreen

Why did you have to put the compost in the bucket? Why not dug in the soil around the plantings?

• James Bryan C

@Noreen In the bucket it gets down into the three root zones of the plants surface roots mid zone roots and the roots that are 8 inches deep... in the hole will work but the compost very rarely will get down deep in the soil where most of the calcium is absorbed into the plant from broken down limestone in the soil

• Liz Birge

Can you do this for things other than tomatoes?

• James Bryan C

@Liz Birge Peppers, eggplants both do well with no adaptations needed for the bucket...Cucumbers can be planted around a bucket with one set of holes going all around the bucket and buried only about 3 inches into the ground

• Mike

how did you deal with hornworms i had so much trouble last year

• James Bryan C

@Mike I use neem oil available in most box stores organic you can hand pick them off but in a large patch that is hard to do

• Cher Kalil

We have always used a clean tuna or cat food can open on both ends. Simply slide it down to the earth over the stem. Push it into the soil about half inch and you're good to go. Can't remember why it worked. Not sure if they can't get over it because it's metal. I just know it has always worked. You should make sure you promptly remove your plants at the end of the season to rid any end of season eggs on the leaves. Check out this video! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2PYeRvmWI

• Kit4069851

What size is the can? I can't tell by the picture and is it plastic? Sorry but I'm looking at this on my phone. Thank you

• James Bryan C

@Kittyvward original planting I used a 13 gallon plastic can for 4 plants... for most home gardeners I recommend a 5 gallon bucket for 2 plants and cattle panels for cages as they last for years and have large openings they are available at Tractor Supply or other Farm supply stores... they are 5' tall and 16' long you can use electrical conduit pipe for posts and buy two panels to sandwich the tomato plants in the center.. and can plant 6 to 8 tomato plants in the row depending on how close you want to have the plants...

• Kit4069851

I check my plants frequently and have always caught them and picked them off.

• Dianna Chapman

What size holes did you drill?

• James Bryan C

@Dianna Chapman 1/4" holes

• Jean Claude Champrroux

@James Bryan C Bonjour, merci de votre poste sur votre technique de pousse des tomates.Pourriez vous me donner des conditions climatique chez vous et si avec nos conditions climatique on pourrais obtenir les mêmes avantage. Je suis agriculteur à la retraite depuis 18 mois et je pratique la permaculture au niveau de mon jardin. j'ai un petit renseignement à vous demandé, Si vous pouviez reconnaître cette variété de tomate, si les photos passe bien. Je vous souhaite de bonne récoltes 2016.

, p se 0 950 kg taille de la plante environ 1 50 m 7 fruits sur ce pied soit 4 5 kg Plant en fin juin et r colt en septembre octobre, On distingue 3 parties de tomate accol es les uns au autres elle est d une couleur rouge violac
    • James Bryan C

@Dianna Chapman 1/4 inch

• Patricia

How many tomato plants did you put in here? 3?

• Patricia

Oh sorry I see that you put in 4 plants..mm don't they choke each other in this 36 inches diameter?

• James Bryan C

@Patricia They are determinates and did fine.. If I were planting indeterminate tomatoes I would have done only 2

• AnDie

Did you pinch off any of the suckers when the plants were babies? I'm told that cuts down on vines that don't yield and increases production...Comments?

• James Bryan C

@AnDie Old way of doing things was to prune heavy..in part due to the inability to fight diseases and watering issues (Leaf watering) These plants are determinate tomatoes and they are only pruned up to the first blossom when they are planted.. Indeterminate tomatoes in greenhouse conditions are pruned to a single leader or stalk in the field they are pruned at planting and as needed.. but imagine the labor needed to prune even an acre of tomatoes.... commercial growers don't prune except at planting and they expect a minimum of 25 lbs per plant or they are nowhere near making money with tomatoes... A lot of the older methods work and I use them, but I also have learned that there was a reason for the way old timers did things and if you eliminate that reason (Leaf watering) you can net commercial rates of harvest in the home garden without chemicals just by watering the roots

• Polly Zieper

what is leaf watering, just what it sounds like? and why would you water the leaves?

• Robert E. Friedland

Leaf watering (a term I'm not familiar with) would refer to overhead sprinkling or, for that matter, natural rain fall. Tomatoes of funny about that. They need plenty of water but they don't do well if their leaves stay wet. So it's best to have drip irrigation or some kind of ground watering such as a soaker hose that allows water to seep through its sides. The hose lies on the ground (or it can be placed beneath the soil). This not only gives the roots the water they need but also reduces water wasted to evaporation.

• Peggy

I'm wondering if you would have a remedy for moles. They have taken one entire plant under in one day, with the tomatoes on the vines. Not one leaf left. Nothing but the hole where the plant was. (Imagine me watching those plants and waiting until the perfect day to go pick them. So frustrating!) Since I have a raised bed due to back issues, my husband took out all the soil and we put tin in the bottom with some holes punched in for drainage. We will try it again this season. Just wondering if you are bothered by them. Thanks so much. (And thanks for the tip on the watering bucket.)

• Lisa L

Sounds like you have a pest problem, but it's not moles. Moles survive on earthworms and grubs, nothing else. They do not eat plants, fruits, roots, veggies or any vegetation. They eat worms - that's all. They can kill plants by damaging roots while creating tunnels (in search of worms) but a tiny worm eating mole, that only weighs1 ounce each (1.5 oz. if fat), can not and would not pull a tomato plant - and it's fruit, under ground. A 1 oz. critter doesn't have the strength to do it and more so, wouldn't exert the energy on something they can't/don't/won't eat. You need to identify the real culprit.... and then a solution. By the way - I have several vermiculture beds (composting with worms, not heat) and have to deal with moles every year. After all, I have thousands of red worms which is their main diet. I manually control them. It's not pretty, but effective. Dig em' up, grab them and destroy them - it's the best method I've found in 30 plus years of dealing with them. You obviously have a critter much bigger than a mole though - and your critter eats plants/veggies/fruits.

• James Bryan C

@Peggy I would think this is something other than moles... Unless the moles just undermine the bush to the point it's roots are exposed to other things.. Traps work sometimes... I have had more luck out of a barn cat bringing moles to the doorstep during early spring and summer... Depending on how large the hole is it could be a ground hog, skunk or even a rabbit... The skunk and rabbit would not eat the bush maybe the fruits a ground hog will eat the ripe fruit and damage the roots... I would suggest laying a plastic coated wire mesh with about a 1 inch hole in the bottom of the raised bed frame.. It will last for several years and would help prevent anything burrowing up from the bottom... The only other culprit might be a cat digging to catch a mole It is difficult to determine with out seeing the hole and the area around your raised bed to determine the habitat and what animal or animals are in the given area.... Hope this gives you a little more to go on..

• Peggy

Thanks Lisa and James. I didn't see any tracks, just a hole. Since we live in the country, it could be something eating from the top. I really don't know if deer eat tomatoes or not. Since the root and all were gone and the hole undisturbed, it seems to more likely be something pulling it downward. However, that theory also isn't very believable because these were very large plants and I can't see how they would be pulled through a small hole. I didn't know that moles only eat worms. Seems that I need to do some more research. Our dog brought one of them to our door, and my husband killed one with a shovel. I did read that if you kill one, another one just moves into the tunnel. We've tried flushing their holes with water, tried poking dryer sheets into the holes (A local garden center person swore by this method.) but so far, nothing works. Thanks again for your input.

• Peggy

I thought of something else too. On another occasion one of the plants was wilting. I kept watering every day but it didn't help. About day 3, I took hold of the plant to move it over a bit so I could get a good look at the roots and it just fell over. There were no roots at all. I'm still scratching my head over this.

• Robert E. Friedland

Voles (more like a mouse than like a mole) and gophers are voracious eaters even though they are small animals. They can wipe out crops quickly and have an ability to multiply rapidly when they have abundant food supply. You wouldn't see the gophers working underground or the vole escaping under the foliage in the blink of an eye when you are around.

• Peggy

Thanks Robert. I have never even heard of voles before. No doubt it could be the problem. I'm getting educated and I will try some things. It's a 'forever' battle in our area (and I suppose every area) to see if the humans get fed or the animals.

• Cher Kalil

Hi Peggy, it certainly sounds like voles to me! For memory sake just remember that moles eat meat, and voles eat veggies. There is an organic product that I've had good results with keeping voles and woodchucks away. I believe the name was scram or scat, but there are other brands. You want the dry, shake product made with clove. The smell of clove can be smelled all around the yard for days after, but will subside within about a week. Good luck!

• Peggy

Cher, thank you so much! I certainly will try to find this product and use it asap.

• Genie

I don't know if you have gophers in your area, but that's what your problem sounds like. I personally have seen a 2 foot plant pulled under by a gopher. Best idea is to ask at a local nursery.

• Kathy L. E. Therrien

Do you dig a hole and put the bucket down in the ground.......and where do you put the compost? in the bucket.....under the bucket or around it?

• James Bryan C

@Kathy L. E. Therrien in the bucket.. the water leaches it out at three root zones for feeding

• Cathy

Very cool idea. My husband was asking how big of holes did you drill in the bucket/trash can?

• Sah4295625

What is the variety of tomato that you are growing with that :bucket" method? I notice that the plants do not appear as if they were suckered?

• James Bryan C

@Sah suckering is an old practice that is not needed when you effectively water the plants at the root.... old timers would pull out suckers to limit the amount of water needed to keep the plants going... indeterminate plants benefit in green house situations, but field grown tomatoes are not pruned as heavily.. these are determinate plants and I prune one time only at planting and only up to the first blossom set... I harvest 25lbs + per plant over 100 lbs off these 4 plants

• Jeff Hartman

@James, this is not true everywhere. Around here removing suckers is done more for air flow through the plants and for bigger fruit. There is no way I could grow my plants all crammed together and full of suckers here like in the above picture, it is much too humid here and they would all end up with late blight.

• James Bryan C

@Jeff Hartman I have never had a problem with late blight, I try not to get the leaves wet and use a copper fungicide on an as needed basis... After moving to KY I started using cattle panels and planting the tomatoes in rows with a bucket in between... I grow commercially and I don't have the man power to sucker tomatoes.. most of the Amish around here say the same thing, with the exception of the greenhouse tomatoes, field grown tomatoes are only pruned at planting due to the labor cost in additional pruning... Home gardens can do more pruning, but to each their own..

• Jeff Hartman

@James , Yup, it's all about location, also I don't use any pesticides so I have to prevent the problem through air flow instead of copper.

• Patrick Johnson

James, do you think this method would work in a large pot/tub (we don't have ground space)?

• James Bryan C

@Patrick Johnson yes.. adapt size of can or bucket to the size of the container

• KdMommy

How big is the garbage can?

• Christelle

@james what do you mean suckering? Can you send photos of the bucket with holes and a marking of how deep to bury it? Thank you (just learning)

• James Bryan C

Suckering I the term for side shoots..my old farm facebook page has information and videos on the bucket... www.facebook.com/provisionfarms also a detailed note.. Due to my divorce I no longer update the page but there is tons of information available there in the notes section and videos

• Al Ludlum

James, do you have a diagram showing where you drill the holes? It sounds like there are holes in the bottom of the bucket, then another row about 5" up from the bottom, then another row about 10" above the bottom. How many holes do you put in the bucket and do you put them only where the tomato plants will be, or do you put them completely around the bucket?

• James Bryan C

Holes are on the side of bucket with a 5 gallon bucket 2 sets of holes one on each side under the handles is best... 1st row at bottom edge 3 to 4 holes about an inch apart go up about 4 inches for the next row 4 to 5 holes an inch apart go up about 4 inches and drill 4 to 5 holes again about an inch or so apart Repeat for other side bury bucket so the to row of holes in barely above the ground plant two tomatoes one for each set of holes plant deeper than the pot they came in as tomatoes will sprout roots

• Cynthia Chapa Harmel

Is there a way to show a photo of this?I am a visual learner....

• Allen

I don't see a mention of hole diameter. 1/8"... 1/4"? Don't want too big, but not too smalle either... :-/ Thanks!

• Deltamom

Would other veggies do just as well planted ur way?

• Beverley Wallace

What about worms or bugs? How do you keep them from eating your plants? Sorry if the questions are bad, I live in Las Vegas,NV. and want to try to grow my own tomato's. Sure could use some great advise. Thanks for your help.

• Dawn Dake

What size trash basket was that?

• Gini

What do the tomatoes taste like? Have they had a chance to develop the taste and sweetness if they have grown at such a rate?

• James Bryan C

it depends on the variety.. these were an heirloom which is the only variety I grow so they had the old fashioned flavor

• Cindy Motto

What size hole do you drill?

• Sign Maker

James, any problems with the holes getting plugged and if so, how did you solve it? This seems like a terrific idea that I am going to try.

• James Bryan C

As long as you use finished compost you won't have much problems.. If the compost has large bits of debris or un finished material you might, but it can be remedied by taking a broom and whirling it around the bucket sides to remove any particles that linger in the holes....

• MelanieF

Do you have problems with mosquitos breeding in the can or do you cover it?

• James Bryan C

The water leaches out in less than a half hour so no problems with mosquitos

• Deb

About what size of garbage can did you use? ( I can't tell from the pictures.)

• Paula

What type of garbage can? Plastic or aluminum?

• Sarah

Do you have any cage building tips? How deep did you plant the wire and what is the diameter of the cage?

• James Bryan C

e cage in the photo was 4 ft which takes 13 ft of wire.... You can use a cattle panel system by buying 2 panels at tractor supply... place one panel in back plant your tomatoes in front with a 5 gallon bucket between two plants and then place the second panel in front sandwiching the plants in between _______________________________panel Pl Bk PL Pl Bk Pl Pl Bk P _______________________________Panel

• Theresa Shearer

Beautiful blooms! Any other ideas for vegetable containers...spinach, lettuce, green onions?

• James Bryan C

Try 2 litter bottles piercing lid and a few holes along the sides buried a couple inches deep for your greens and onions... this method can be adapted for other things like squash, peppers, eggplants etc..

• Tami Chrisman

What type of soil are you working with? I have clay. Worked with sandy loom all my life, the clay has me beat. I either flood the garden or choke it out. What advise can anyone give me. I only plant several varieties of tomatoes and bell peppers.

• Kristin O'Neal

I have clay soil too, my soil was a mix of red clay and decent soil...either way it didn't drain well... you can buy "top soil" or compost by the scoop at some places. (Like a mulch co. Or local evergreen center) I recommend compost....I tilled my whole garden with compost, mixed it with the clay, and my garden did REALLY good last year! If yours is nothing but red clay, then I would recommend both "top soil" and compost. The top soil is decent soil and it has some rocks in it, mix this with your clay soil and the compost (I used manure compost but mushroom compost would work just as well from what I hear) and you'll have a great mix of soil to start your garden!!! The top soil will mix with clay and the clay will cooperate better, the rocks will help ALOT with drainage so no more flooding your veggies/flowers out! AND the compost will give your garden some delicious nutrients that they'll love you for!! :-) haha I hope this helps!!

• James Bryan C

Clay can make or break a garden... when it is dry it cracks and takes a lot of water to break it up, then if too wet is like a slurry... add organic matter in the form of straw etc plus compost to "lighten the soil" it will take time but clay soil can be very fruitful for the home garden

• Jill Buckalew

Read up on lasagna gardening. The layers of shredded newspapers,leaves, grass, along with the compost will decompose into rich dark soil. Had a great garden the 1st year I tried this and it just gets better as I layer it up every fall.

• Lorraine Aha

We live atop clay as well. It took me years to get my soil to where it is productive, and I have to do regular composting or it goes back to the baking and cracking. In addition to composts, clay conditioners such as Zeolite are helpful, too.

• Larissa Sneider

Test your soil for the PH level. I live in the mountains and the soil is very hard and alkaline. I add amendments like compost, peat and sulfur. My used coffee grounds also help the ph level. I have to keep adding amendments every year but the soil is getting better each year. Check with your county extension office. Take a soil sample in and they can give you the best solutions.

• Char Jenkins

also found that just mulching keeps the top layer moist and it does not get cracky. But most important for this problem is to not work the soil when it's too wet. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. I also mulch with newspaper and grass clippings when i do not have other mulch as it is time consuming. Straw is easier but so is grass, which breaks down quickly and not as long lasting. Use all that is available, starting with what is less expensive in your area. Just keep the top layer covered to keep it from drying out (except of course where the seeds/plants are. LOL)

• Cher Kalil

If you're striving for chemical free gardening only use lawn clippings over newspaper as mulch IF you don't add chemicals (i.e.: Scotts, Grub Control) to your lawn. The lawn chemicals will leach into your garden soil as it breaks down. Your garden plants will absorb it into the entire plant, including the edible fruit!

• Kathy

What variety of tomat plant did you use?

• James Bryan C

I used a determinate that year... can't remember the exact variety Mt Fresh is a good variety in the determinate family

• Lisa Falkenthal

If you want an indeterminate (one that grows all summer) ask a local garden store ( not a big box store) what a good variety for your area is, they differ greatly by region.

• Wendy

What size holes did you drill in the can? Also, how high did you make the fence circle and what is the diameter? Thank you for answering these questions for me.

• James Bryan C

1/4" holes fence is 4 ft high and 13 feet long makes about a 4 ft circle

• Wendy

Thanks for the great idea and information!

• Pat Schultz

have new store bought cages. how many plants can I put in one?

• Cindy

1 plant per tomato cage .

• Rosa Parks

he said 4 plants in the first line

• Leslie

The store bought cages are sized for one plant.

• Lorna M

Just put the smaller store bought cage spaced around the pot. I do 3 around a pot with one plant in each.

• Beth Rossignol

Would this work instead of the cattle panels?

• FarmMomSD

Yes,I think it would,may have cut for diameter

• James Bryan C

Yes, but for the average gardener you will have problems getting the tomatoes out.. This is what I first used I am 6'4" and could easily reach into the wire from the top... try to find a wire with a larger opening and add plenty of stakes to help hold it up... trust me you will need stakes as well due to the heavy production of the plants

• Jackie

What did you use for the compost?

• Connie

Would this work with cantaloupe?

• James Bryan C

@Connie use a 5 gallon bucket and 2 sets of holes one at bottom rim and other up about three inches only bury bucket to 2.5" as cantaloupes roots are shallower than tomatoes

• Venita murphy

I know this may sound silly, but what is the best compost to use, I think they look great & getting ready to plant, my last 2yrs have not done well as previous have

• Bambi

What size garbage can?

• Carol S

I also wondered that! In the photo it looks like what I call a waste basket. To me, a garbage can is like 30-33 gallons. I'd like to have this answered.

• Neva Gleason

A waste basket

• James Bryan C

13 gallon or use 5 gallon bucket for 2 plants

• Bambi

Thanks

• Beth Rossignol

I plan on using my square shaped trash can. Will this be ok? I can not find a cylindrical 13 gallon trash can.

• Debi

I don't think the shape is an issue here. What its basically doing is creating a compost tea, so the shape is negligible. Use a square or round can Is fine,

• JB

Is there enough air circulation between the plants.? The idea sounds great but the plants look a little crowded together...Thanks

• James Bryan C

There was plenty of air circulation.. did not run into blight or any fungus for that matter as I kept as much water off the leaves (except rain) then sprayed copper as a preventative after rain

• Nita Harrison

What does spraying copper mean?

• Shuesler

Tomatoes are susceptible to a variety of pests and fungal diseases that ruin a harvest if left untreated. Copper sulfate, a readily available fungicide and bactericide, prevents many fungal diseases from developing on tomato plants. When mixed with water, copper sulfate releases ions that are toxic to fungi but relatively safe for the treated plants. Apply copper sulfate early in the growing season to avoid losing tomatoes to an unexpected disease.

• Lov2210885

Although it's safe, it's still a pesticide right?

• Cher Kalil

It's a fungicide. No offense to the commenter but I'd prefer to use one bucket of compost per plant and space them further apart to eliminate the use of conventional chemicals. Simply avoid watering leaves and use a mulch around the plant to reduce the chance of fungus spores splashing up from the soil.

• Judy Hearne

I've read that you can also put small pieces of copper in the surrounding soul to deter insects/slugs, etc. I wonder if you could put small prices in the compost rather than spray w/the copper sulfate?

• Judy Hearne

Soil, not soul - sorry!

• Sam Mcgee

Im a little confused. Holes in bottom rim? Do you mean bottom?

• Laura Huff

I would think it should be on the sides, near the bottom so the water can flow out to the surrounding plants.

• Karen

How big are the holes drilled in the garbage can? Size of a dime, quarter?

• Gina Franklin

We just got moved and I have not gotten my compost started. Is there anything else I can use? Or is there a quick way to get the compost ready quickly?

• Joa3389785

Coffe shops put out grounds, put it right in soil, dig shallow trench next to rows of veggies, put in daily eggshells, veg. & fruit scraps & cover with soil. The summer heat will help break it dos quickly, worms & insects will help too.

• Audrey Brow Stapleford

A Farmer's Exchange store usually sells compost starter mix also try a bait shoppe and ask for red wigglers to add to your compost. Check out a Tractor Supply store they may or may not sell compost starter.

• Lynn

about how many holes do you drill?? I'm definitely going to do this

• James Bryan C

for each plant 3 sets of holes bottom edge 3 holes up 4 inches 5 to 6 holes up 4 more and 5 to 6 holes each spaces about an inch apart.. use 1/4 inch drill bit

• Angela

It looks as if as the plants grow it becomes extremely difficult to reach the bucket without either the risk of damaging the plants or coming out smelling like a tomato plant. I am very short and disabled so any suggestions on avoiding either are welcome.

• Vikki T

How about adding a trough or something similar at the same time as the planting. Then you could put a hose to the trough and water them that way.

• Brenda

They also sell a watering tube at Christmas time that helps you water your Christmas tree. It sounds as though it could be useful for when your plants become so full and you could place the bottom of the tube into the bucket and put your hose at the other end to fill it. Maybe try a Pvc pipe?

• Angela

• Debi

Try something like a piece of pvc pipe tied to the outside of the frame, through one of the squares, laying at an angle down to the inside of the bucket. That way you can use a hose to fill the bucket and if the pipe is inside the mouth of the bucket, then the pipe will also fill. That way you will know when to stop topping it up with water. Let me know how you go. 🙃 Good luck.

• Beth Rossignol

Debi I love that idea!!!! I think it would be good for everyone to use.

• Carol in VT

This was a great additional idea to his plan. With such thick plants there is no way to see inside if the bucket needs water. Your PVC idea is perfect. I am going to try this year.

• Anne Marie

Great idea, thank you, I will use this method for my tomatoes this year. Just one question - if the tomatoes are planted in the earth around the outside the bin, why did you put some compost in the bin?

• Robin Smith

It would be to feed the plants. It would leach out through the holes as does the water.

• James Bryan C

Liquefied Compost is one of the best fertilizers there is.

• Dorcas baldwin

instead of garbage cans could you do the same thing with coffee cans?

• James Bryan C

yes, but you will miss deep root zone try a 5 gal bucket for 2 plants

• Bka2196948

What did you use to plant your tomatoes? Mine are never healthy plants

• James Bryan C

You have to start with healthy plants, soil and good warm weather... too many plant tomatoes to

• Pamela Harley Thompaon

I don't see any tomatoes or blooms in your final picture. From what I understand about growing tomatoes; it looks like at least half the plant is not getting enough light. Do you prune it?

• James Bryan C

Determinate varieties are only pruned to the first blossom bracket... these produced over100 lbs of fruit

• Karen Anastasia

How big are the holes you drilled and how many? All the way around the can?

• Dotty Parsons

How big are the holes..?

• Carmen

What kind of compost did you use?

• Pat Bowman

What keeps the water from going straight thru?

• Jackie

The water drains slowly because there are holes in the bucket, made with a drill, you could use a nail and a hammer though.

• Karen Talman Freiert

I tried this last year and could never get the buckets full. The water kept running out. It watered them though.

• Lorna M

The compost in the bucket slows the water down as it drains

• Doreen Tuell

What are "blossom brackets"? This was in a question about pruning that you answered.

• James Bryan C

The branch with the first set of blossoms... Determinate plants are only pruned beneath this set of brackets

• Susan crone

What size garbage can?

• Tatjana Lijić

Sorry,I didn't understand due to my lack of knowing of English. Where did you put the compost in? Into the bucket,or around it and the plants..thank you !

• Joan Berry-Warder

What is the advantage of putting the plants INSIDE the cage. It will be difficult to pick the tomatoes between the wires of the cage.

• James Bryan C

It supports the plants.... a thousand comments back I recommended a larger hole size on the wire and have since adapted using cattle panels 60" x 16' for support sandwiching the plants between 2

• Julie Jeff Novak

I did this last year and had a great crop, but a horrible problem with slugs that ruined over half my crop. Any suggestions? I used a 5 gallon pail and 2 indeterminate plants.

• James Bryan C

Organic slug bait is available at most box stores... a small lid with beer also will work

• RaulCindy Guerra

put out broken egg shell and the slugs will never reach the plant

• Susan Pierce

How many holes in a 5gal bucket on bottom & sides? How big are the holes?

• Rosanne

quite a few--all around the edges and a lot in the middle bottom

• Melinda Bourne

By compost do you mean the potato peels, coffee grounds, etc. or the material after all that stuff decomposes? Sorry, but I'm not much of a gardener.

• James Bryan C

Yes, but store bought compost will do as well even commercial fertilizers, but the compost you can make is best

• Pennyless

I understood the question to be..do you mean this or that? And how do you answer that with "yes"?

• Lorna M

It's best to use the compost material you get after. You don't want to draw pests or rodents to you plants by putting rotting food in them. If you don't have any you can buy bags of composted manure and it works great!

• Sign Maker

James, it seems you get a lot questions about the holes in the water container. Would it help if you posted a picture of what you actually do? thx

• James Bryan C

I have videos and info on my facebook page... and I still get the questions LOL... my old computer crashed that has the photos and I am moving at this time to a smaller homestead property but plan on taking photos of the five gallon bucket, the cattle panel system and doing a video about composting as well once I get moved to the other place...

• Laura Cagle

Put coffee filters in the bottom of your bucket and the dirt won't go thru and clog it up.

• Jan5091999

What size tomato cage do I use &what is width of the Pail?

• James Bryan C

The pail was a 13 gallon trash can.... and the cage was a piece of wire approx. 13 feet in length that makes a 4 ft circle... but you will find you would be better served using 5 gallon buckets for 2 plants and using stakes or traditional cages... but if you plant multiple plants consider investing in 2 cattle fence panels 16 ft long by 5 ft high and place a bucket between each grouping of tomatoes and place one panel behind the planting and another in front using stakes to hold it up.. much easier to harvest and the panels will last for years they are available at most farm supply stores like tractor supply etc

• Brandy David Langridge

Just put the tomatoes in the ground and they grow into tomatoes trees.

• James Bryan C

I had a gentleman from California sent a photo of him standing on top of a 8 ft ladder to reach the tops of his plants Indeterminate tomatoes will grow to massive lengths in the greenhouses

• Barbara Shipman Beebe

What do you do if the tomatoes are bigger that the holes in the cage?

• MRomero

Hi! We're excited about trying this method. What size holes did you drill in the trash can and how many holes? Thank you for this great idea!

• Misti

This has already been answered in the comments below.

• Ieh5492209

Thats what needs to be answered. How big and how far apart are the holes? We know holes are on the bottom and so are the holes 10" up from the bottom but how m,any go around the circumference of the five gallon bucket?

• Ten4380265

Give the size drill holes..how many holes around and how far apart...seems you wouldnt want the holes too large, it would lose water too fast..at the same time too small would be plugged up by the compost. What size did this creater use?

• Lorna M

I used a dril bit the size of the tip of my little finger (womans) and spaced mine every inch (4 or 5) on three sides of the pot. I use the nursery pots that have the big holes for drainage. I buried mine up to the neck. Fill the pot to the top and the water will steep for a bit as it slowly drains out by the roots taking nutrients with it. The holes don't really plug up. They just slow it down draining out.

• Theresa Shearer

Would anyone have suggestions how to rid slugs from my lawn?

• Dianeg1234

Vinegar in a spray bottle. Salt is also effective. Careful not to spray or sprinkle healthy plants.

• Brenda

You can also put little containers of cheap beer out by the areas they infest and they will be attracted To those instead of your plants

• Epsom salt. Just a light sprinkle, like you would do for a weed and feed, run the sprinklers for 2 minutes. Or a light water by hand just to wet down the epsom salt.
  • Lisa O.

When using the container in the ground for watering your tomatoes how do you water the rest of your garden and not get the tomatoes leaves wet. Typically we water our garden with a sprinkler. Do you cover the tomatoes plants when using a sprinkler? I prefer not to stand out and water the garden by hand.

• Karen Wilson Carver

You use much less water if you invest in some soaker hoses. When you use sprinklers much of your water is lost to evaporation, or to parts of your garden or yard that doesn't need water. Once you have soaker hoses in place, you just have to hook them up to a regular hose and walk away. Your water is concentrated in the root area of the plant and won't be on the leaves. Keep checking the soil until you know how much time it takes to reach the depth of a good inch or two and then you'll know how much time it takes before you need to turn off the water.

• Kathy Workman

How easy is it to pick the ripe fruit inside the cage?

• J

Did you get an answer on this? What kind of website is this, you ask questions and there is no answer?

• Lorna M

Make a cage out of fencing with bigger holes.

• Paramedic

Can this idea work with any other vegetable plants?

• Lorna M

Yes. Especially if they like alot of water like tomatoes do.

• Lin Piper-Wickham

Measurement of the cage?

• James miller

what size were your holes

• Joe Albert Kirschenbaum

I PLANTED TOMATOES USING YOUR METHOD , THE COMPOST IN THE BUCKET IS PLUGGING UP THE HOLES , IS THIS SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN? 3 1/4'' HOLES IN BOTTOM RIM AND 3 1/4'' HOLES 7'' ABOVE THE BOTTOM ONES.

• Lorna M

Yes the water will 'stew' for a bit and make a nice composty tea and slowly leak out the holes taking the nutrients with it.

• Jewellmartin

And you can use both your hands to fluff the compost into the bucket. It shouldn't be as hard as clay, anyway, but sometimes it has clumps in it. But the nutrient tea info is correct.
  • Paula

Hello James, you mention 2 plants for a 5 gallon bucket. I have my 3 favorites: Roma, Sun sugar, and Beefsteak and the circular area I have can only support one bucket with space for the 3 plants. Can I still use the method and add more holes and fill with water more often? I plan to place them around the bucket in a triangle shape having a separate cage for each one to ease access to the bucket for filling with compost and water. Thank you, Paula. Hamilton MT

• Familyman239

I'm basically doing the exact same thing. 3 different tomatoe plants around a 5gallon bucket. There all baby's 8-12" tall and I put 6 - 1/4 holes on bottom and about 10" above I drilled 10 - 1/8" holes. Filled bottom 2" of bucket with egg rocks and covered that with 4-5" of black Kow soil. Hope I'm doing this right. I haven't put up the fencing yet.... Not sure how I should do it. Can't wait to see what sort of answers you get, If anyone will respond. I just did this last night so if I did this wrong I wouldn't hesitate to fix. Good luck

• James Bryan C

The bucket should be empty.. no rocks etc plants go on the outside in the soil.. one scoop of compost goes in the bucket each week and fill the bucket with water twice weekly depending on your rain fall. In South Florida with the tropical afternoon rains you will have to be aware of fungus etc... a copper spray will help eliminate or control fungus as needed

• Familyman239

First off gotta say this maybe the smartest & coolest design I've ever seen. Boarder line genius. Yet so simple. Have a Few questions for you sir I put 1"egg rock about 2"-3" high in bottom of bucket with 2holes in 3 Seprate areas of the bucket to feed each of the 3 plants drilled the holes with 3/16" drill bit. Total of 6holes on bottom side of bucket. Then I cut out the bottom of another bucket and stuck it in the Original bucket and I drilled holes 10" above from the bottom of the original bucket. Drilled those Holes the same way 2 holes side by side about 3" apart for each plant. My question is, is this okay? Was I suppose to put vegetable miracle grow soil in the bottom of the bucket? Or how much compost Should've been in the bucket? Is it okay to put fertilizers straight into the bucket when I water it? I'm just looking to hopefully see results. I know that I've gotta be patient and just not do to much. I've convinced my wife to spend a pretty penny on our vegetable/fruit garden and This is my first time ever gardening. I just hope to see results with the amount of time and money weve put into it. Hope this gets to you Mr James. It's a real pleasure reading this article. I'm a believer in this setup

, My first ever garden, The bucket is 1 2 full of water it will stay full anywhere from 30 to 48hrs Is this okay Not enough holes or just over watering or is it even maybe perfect
  • Familyman239

Water sitting for the 3rd day in a row....? Not sure if this is gonna kill the plant with to much water or if holes are clogged. Please help🙏I really hope to get a response from you Mr James. It would make my summer!!! Your time would be greatly appricated.

, Water sitting for the 3rd day in a row Good or bad Btw I live in southwest FL zone 10 A lot of heat and humidity
  • Joy Ballast

What can you do for tomatoes worms? They strip all the leaves off my plants.

• Paul Cervelli

Can you use this same technique with other plants, such as bell peppers or cucumbers?

• Familyman239

I read some where below mr James answered this already. Not sure exactly what he said but I remember he said they are great with cucumbers and that you only bury bucket like 3-4" in the ground and have the holes going around the whole bucket. Cucumbers roots do grow deep. Basically anything vegetable/fruit that needs a lot of water May wanna just stroll down on page to see exactly what he said. I'm an amatuer.

• Cindy kelly

I have been told that if you take a 3 letter coke bottle put the hole in it the same way and plant it with each plant that needs a lot of water will work the same way. By the way up cut the bottom off and keep the big cap on it when you plant the bottle upside down. You could Possibly plant a bottle in between every plant. It takes time but pays off in the long run.

• Familyman239

Hello James could you please take a look at the picture below? I made an illustration to basically everything that I've read. But with one exception that I've changed, 3 tomato plants around a double stacked 5gallon buckets. I've added the 2nd bucket just to add the extra water for the 3rd plant. I water the buckets Full on Monday and Thursday. All the other days I fill the bucket half way high in the bucket. It's been a week now and the plants look good. I do Not think I'm over watering because I live in sunny/humid SW FLorida zone10A. But I noticed you said that u want the water to feed the roots of the plants in 3 different zones. I figure I'm not doin that. So should I cut out the bottom of another bucket or two. To add more water or Should I try to water the bucket full every other day? Would you basically tell me if this illustration would be good for others to use? Thinking this could possibly cut down on the daily questions that I noticed you've received and hope to be helpful for those trying this concept to understand the basics. Hope to hear back from ya. Thxs - Lawrence

, Zoom on illustration if can t read Has a lot of info written on the sheet of paper Hope it s right and helps others 1 4 holes fence is 4 ft high 13 long makes about 4 ft Circle Bottom holes 1 apart Vertically 4to6 apart, So far so good, You can see the hole I cut in the bottom of the top bucket To add more water for the 3rd plant Just not sure if I should cut out the bottom of a few more buckets to be sure there getting enough water
    • Brenda

That illustration helped me understand it better. Thank you! I'm still scrolling through questions so please forgive me if it has been answered and I haven't read far enough yet but why do you have two buckets instead of just the one?

• Tom Collins

What are the hole sizes and the number of holes for the 13 gal. containes

• Misti

• Joanne Bilodeau

We can't see rhe answer Misti. What is the size of the holes please ?

• Vickie

• Diane Reid

1/4 inch

• Tom Collins

second time : What are the hole sizes and how many holes for the 13 gal. container. Tx Tom Collins tcoll9295@fuse.net

• Misti

• Vickie

• Linda Holland

With the Bushes so full, and the cage holes small how do you get the tomatoes out. Looks like with being so full make it harder to see the.

• Tuckermac

I would ask my 3 yr. old grand daughter ; she has very small hands

• P Gropp

Maybe use wire cutter and then snip some "Windows" in the cage.

• Julie Lancaster

You can use concrete wire it has large square holes, easy peezy.

• Linda Holland

Sounds good Julie, but a waste of a good cage!! My Dad grew large tomatoes and would be hard to get out..

• Millicentwilliams

what can you use instead of compost? thanks

• Ellen

@Millicentwilliams Leaves, grass clippings, vegetable kitchen scraps, spent flower arrangements, etc.

• Millicentwilliams

thanks

• Sherry B.

Store bought garden soil/peat mix with miracle grow already in it.

• Dawn Murphy

Compost in the can or around outside?

• Ell14187882

I have bought bags of Miracle Gro potting soil and had bugs in it. Lots of tiny bugs! Ugh! And it does not do nearly as well as my homemade mulch, so I will not use Miracle Gro anymore. You save money making your own if you live with trees in your yard/area. My husband has a leaf bagger that sucks up the leaves and mulches them all up and we dump them in our cleaned out gardens in the fall and the rest we use in a compost bin.

• Margaret

I live in an apartment. Can I do this in a large container?

• Charlotta

You could plant starters this way as long as you had a second larger pot underneath the bucket to hold the soil/water solution. Still you'd need an outdoor place to permanently position the plants as this will get quite heavy and it needs SUN!

• Renee

Where's the beef? Kidding, where are the tomatoes? I didn't see any.

<