How to Edge Flower Beds... Like a Pro!

$0.00

My brother is a pro gardener, and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds.
I decided to implement his method into my own garden, and created this blog post, showing the steps, not thinking much of it.
Turns out, that decision was a good one. This post turned out to be one of my most frequently visited tutorials!
And that's because this method truly works.
The outcome transforms your flowerbeds from standard to showroom, instantly! With so very few tools and a little bit of your time.
Here's how I (we) do it...
how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, Isn t this edge pretty Trust me this is very easy to do All you need are three tools you likely already have on hand
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, This was the before Does this look more like what you have in your own yard Let s fix this right up
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, This is a simple half moon edger Make a nice fresh cut along the grass part of your edges in a nice smooth arc
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, Once the cut is made trench out the soil with a hand held garden shovel and mound it away from the edge Trim the grass along the edge horizontally and vertically to get that nice crisp haircut look
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
Then follow up with grass clippers.
I share HERE why I prefer to hand cut over using a power weed wacker device. It makes a difference!
how to edge flower beds like a pro, flowers, gardening, The trench allows for water run off and soil falling and the shadow just creates a really dazzling finish
The trench allows for water run off. The outcome is a STUNNING result, that instantly transforms your flowerbeds into something spectacular.
I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html
I've created this THIS FUN LITTLE CHART that shows the process better. Come check out all 4 steps, as well as many other pretty after shots!
Do you think you'll try it?
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Karin Outen

Love the deep red plant in your last photo. What is it? I decided a couple of weeks ago to look for some deep red plants to include in our landscape and need to get out and see what I can find.

• Joyce

Pinch off the flower stalks if you want a bushier plant.

• MBJarrell

I just wondered how u keep you're dirt from falling into the trench? I love this idea & want to try it but in FL the biggest problem is keeping the Bermuda grass from running everywhere! Thank you

• Snowgirl030901

Mb. I lived in Florida for 38 years and always did my beds like this. My suggestion is to get rid of the Bermuda grass and replace it with Bahia. It dies in the winter but comes right back.

• Cwa31876106

The edge looks fantastic. Doesn't mud fill in the edge? A gardener used rubber edging for our planting beds, but critters eat on it. I will see if I can get help doing the physical stuff, but do want to try this method. Thanks.

• Butterfly

Thank for this information my landscaper and my husband have attempted the edging but it still looks BAD! Now that I've seen your technique I'm going to do the edging myself, sometimes it takes a woman to do it right!! LOL

• Butterfly

This is exactly what I needed. Neither my gardener or husband edge properly and for years I was very frustrated with how the edging looked. I have now taken over my yard and IT WILL BE DONE MUCH BETTER! My 2018 mantra is

" It Takes A Woman" and I am ready!

Thank you for the share😊