How to Edge Flower Beds... Like a Pro!

$0.00

My brother is a pro gardener, and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flowerbeds.
I decided to implement his method into my own garden, and created this blog post, showing the steps, not thinking much of it.
Turns out, that decision was a good one. This post turned out to be one of my most frequently visited tutorials!
And that's because this method truly works.
The outcome transforms your flowerbeds from standard to showroom, instantly! With so very few tools and a little bit of your time.
Here's how I (we) do it...
Isn't this edge pretty, trust me, this is very easy to do with 3 tools you likely already have on hand.
This was the before. Does this look like what you tend to have?
This is a simple half moon edger which creates the super clean edges.
Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.
Then follow up with grass clippers.
I share HERE why I prefer to hand cut over using a power weed wacker device. It makes a difference!
The trench allows for water run off. The outcome is a STUNNING result, that instantly transforms your flowerbeds into something spectacular.
I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html
I've created this THIS FUN LITTLE CHART that shows the process better. Come check out all 4 steps, as well as many other pretty after shots!
Do you think you'll try it?

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• MBJarrell

I just wondered how u keep you're dirt from falling into the trench? I love this idea & want to try it but in FL the biggest problem is keeping the Bermuda grass from running everywhere! Thank you
    • Susan Matejka

I used lava rocks, but could not keep up the creeping grass that has overcome the area in a very fast pace. Not recommended.

• Cwa31876106

The edge looks fantastic. Doesn't mud fill in the edge? A gardener used rubber edging for our planting beds, but critters eat on it. I will see if I can get help doing the physical stuff, but do want to try this method. Thanks.

• Janet

I edge minee like this but there isn'tmuch dirt to pul back away from the edge. My yard is pretty flat. I pulled as much as I coudl but I don't have the deep trench as shown. We mulch every other year about 2-3" in our gardens. This is the off year but we still edge. Love the nice clean look! Your garden is beautiful.

• Mary

We have edging. But I love the bird house. Did you make it? Or where did you get it?

• Ruth Soule

I will sane this and try to do it next year, having my Son dig as I just had a knee replacement! Nice garden.😍

• Ruth Soule

Repeated myself! I meant to say I will save this!!