How to Edge Flower Beds... Like a Pro!

$20

My brother is a pro gardener, and many moons ago, he shared how he professionally edged flower beds.

I decided to implement his method into my own garden, and boy... I can't believe the instant difference it made! So I decided to write a blog post on his method, showing all the steps, not thinking too much about it after the thought.

Well, that one hot sunny day of picture shooting turned out to be a win. This post turned out to be one of my most frequently visited and copied tutorials! And that's because this method truly works.

This method of flowerbed edging transforms your flowerbeds from standard to showroom quality instantly! With standard garden tools and a little bit of elbow grease, it's easy to get this look, and not all that hard to keep up.

Are you ready to ditch deteriorating flower bed edges and go all natural and even more beautiful?

Here's how...

Welcome to my flower bed edges. Does this look similar to yours?

Let's fix this!

The main ingredient to this project is a simple half moon edger. No lie.

Re-map out a pretty and curvy or straight edge to your flowerbed, then 'cut' the edges straight up and down with a simple half moon edger.

Once the cut is made, create a trench with mounded soil in the opposite direction of the cut.

Then follow up with grass clippers.

Fluff up the rest of the flowerbed and you have a very pretty edge!

The key is the trench. It deeply defines the flower bed edge, and creates a place for the water to run.

The effect works with both mulch and soil too!

I created a fun little chart that displays the process a little better. Come check out all 4 steps as well as many other after shots at:http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2012/07/how-to-edge-flower-beds-like-pro.html

Here's a chart that shares the process and what you're ultimately trying to accomplish.

Come check out the original blog post HERE, which shows all 4 steps, as well as many other pretty after shots, PLUS an added video of the entire process!

NEW: Part 2 - with video!

NEW! I've written a Part 2 on how to refresh flower bed edges that you already have existing in an all new post, new pictures, PLUS a video!

Read Part 2 HERE

You will be amazed just how easy it is!

Think you'll give this method a go?

• Half moon edger  (local hardware store)
  • Garden gloves  (hardware store)
  • Gardening sheers  (garden center)

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• MBJarrell

I just wondered how u keep you're dirt from falling into the trench? I love this idea & want to try it but in FL the biggest problem is keeping the Bermuda grass from running everywhere! Thank you
    • Susan Matejka

I used lava rocks, but could not keep up the creeping grass that has overcome the area in a very fast pace. Not recommended.

• Cwa31876106

The edge looks fantastic. Doesn't mud fill in the edge? A gardener used rubber edging for our planting beds, but critters eat on it. I will see if I can get help doing the physical stuff, but do want to try this method. Thanks.

• Janet

I edge minee like this but there isn'tmuch dirt to pul back away from the edge. My yard is pretty flat. I pulled as much as I coudl but I don't have the deep trench as shown. We mulch every other year about 2-3" in our gardens. This is the off year but we still edge. Love the nice clean look! Your garden is beautiful.

• Mary

We have edging. But I love the bird house. Did you make it? Or where did you get it?

• Ruth Soule

Repeated myself! I meant to say I will save this!!

• Lorraine Dunne McCormack

Used this edging method in my yard and have decided it’s the best, and least expensive way to edge. Hard work in the beginning but so worth the result. Just a little flick of the dirt to maintain and a quick trim using the weed wacker. Really clean look. Thanks! One of the best garden tips I’ve gotten in a long time.

• So glad Lorraine! And I completely agree. Most borders tend to break down over the years, but this one looks as good as the day you made it if you keep it up!