Stunning Kitchen Remodel

We completely remodeled our kitchen! We have lived in our house for 10 years and finally got around to this big project. At first, we were going to rip out the bar and drop down ceiling and put in white Ikea cabinets. Then we decided to add 6 feet. This gave us the space to add the island of our dreams! We still used the Ikea Adel cabinets in white. Then we added custom crown molding. It is amazing that it's even the same kitchen! You can see more on my blog: www.loveofhomes.com
This is the before picture of our kitchen. We ended up doing a total tear out, but we started by removing the drop down ceiling, which in itself made a huge difference (I wish we had done that years ago!).
Then we decided to extend the whole kitchen area out 6 feet. This is when are original plans of making this a pretty simple remodel got a whole lot bigger, longer and more expensive.
We saved quite a bit of money by doing the tear out ourselves...these boys thought that part was pretty fun!
The expansion went up pretty quick! We also decided to have part of our deck covered, another decision I'm very happy with!
I'll admit, I wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money to expand out. I'm glad I listened to my husband, when they took down the temporary wall, I was in SHOCK at how much space it added! We did also add new windows. We ordered them through Home Depot and both windows were only about $400.
We did put wood floors in the kitchen area and addition. We removed the tile during the tear out phase of the remodel. It had been over 7 years since we had replaced our carpet with the wood in the dining area and it was a little difficult to match it up. After a few tears, we did find it! It is by Mohawk and it is an engineered wood that is hand scraped. The color is walnut. It is beautiful!
We decided to have a planked and beamed ceiling put in. Our contractor did an amazing job! He actually saved us money by putting in sheets of paneled wood instead of each plank of wood at a time. In the end it turned out perfect. The beam on the right is where our old kitchen ended and is a real support beam. Then they built up a faux beam to match on the other side.
Here is the AMAZING after! The Cabinets, countertops, and hardware on the cabinets are all from Ikea! The 6ft. addition made a huge difference and allowed us to have the island of our dreams!
Our island is completely functional and holds the microwave, a garbage/recycle can drawer & plenty of storage!
I am so happy to have the garbage can drawer! It's nice to have bigger cans that are hidden.
We used Ikea cabinets and added a custom hood over the stove and custom crown molding on the top of the cabinets.
Here is our beamed and planked ceiling all painted white! It is one of my favorite additions to the kitchen remodel!
Here is one last BEFORE...
Here is the AFTER!

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Everything Red For Canada Day
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
SallyLoveOfHomes

• Alice Churukian

Gor*ge*ous! - love everything about this new and improved kitchen - Sorry Marion but I like the way it looks without any splashes of color. There's enough with the fixtures, knobs, table chairs etc. (maybe just my opinion) Lovely job and it looks 3 times bigger.....Enjoy! PS - the ceiling looks fab. passing it on to my niece - she's redoing her kitchen as we speak....

• Jan bishop

The kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I love the ceiling idea using paneled wood. You're so lucky to have someone to help you.