DIY Cinder Block Vertical Planter

You may have seen other cinder block planters circulating the internet. Well we decided to post a version ourselves, because they’re just… so. darn. cool. We wanted to try one of our own, but do it a little different. So we went up! We made this DIY cinder block planter go vertical, and we did it in an afternoon. The cool thing about this project, is you can pretty much make it as big or small as you want… Just buy more blocks! We recommend you play with the design…which blocks go which way, how far you can go with weight and stability,etc… then take a photo of the completed idea. We did this right in the aisle at Home Depot, so we would know how many blocks to buy. Buy a couple extra for flexibility. We capped the bottom of the planter section with metal flashing squares and some landscape adhesive. Get all the details on our blog and see our step by step tutorial.
We capped the bottom of the planter section with metal flashing squares and some landscape adhesive. Get all the details on our blog and see our step by step tutorial.
Here's what we started with. Bought everything from Home Depot. Ended up being a pretty affordable project!
An arial view of the finished planter.
As all the plants grow, it will continue to look better and better as the plants start cascading over the sides etc... More details on our blog. Stop by and check it out!

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
15 Memorial Day Crafts
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Kathy&Steve @ TBD•TGG•DYSS

• Diane

Is this safe around small children? I remember hearing about a toddler killed. when a cement bench fell.

• Alan

I assume all the bricks are super glued/epoxied together--possibly using a piece a re-bar down the center as well. If it ISNT stable, one COULD MAKEit stable by super-gluing 1-2 more to double the size of the foundation which according to the pic, is only 2 wide.

• Anna Sarnes

I was wondering about the safety issue around children?

• Kelly Greene

Can they be painted/stained without chemicals leaking into the plants? I'm new to outdoor projects, thanks.

• We haven't tried it, but as porous as cement it, I would think at least paint would be safe on the outside because it forms a film over the surface. Stain however is made to seep into the material, so I wouldn't try that... Hope our opinion helps you decide!

• Joan Stanley

I really like this! Brings interest to higher levels than the plants on the ground. I'd use the rebar for safety insurance from roudy dogs. 😀

• Susie

I love the look of this. Thanks for sharing.