DIY Cinder Block Vertical Planter

You may have seen other cinder block planters circulating the internet. Well we decided to post a version ourselves, because they’re just… so. darn. cool. We wanted to try one of our own, but do it a little different. So we went up! We made this DIY cinder block planter go vertical, and we did it in an afternoon. The cool thing about this project, is you can pretty much make it as big or small as you want… Just buy more blocks! We recommend you play with the design…which blocks go which way, how far you can go with weight and stability,etc… then take a photo of the completed idea. We did this right in the aisle at Home Depot, so we would know how many blocks to buy. Buy a couple extra for flexibility. We capped the bottom of the planter section with metal flashing squares and some landscape adhesive. Get all the details on our blog and see our step by step tutorial.
We capped the bottom of the planter section with metal flashing squares and some landscape adhesive. Get all the details on our blog and see our step by step tutorial.
Here's what we started with. Bought everything from Home Depot. Ended up being a pretty affordable project!
An arial view of the finished planter.
As all the plants grow, it will continue to look better and better as the plants start cascading over the sides etc... More details on our blog. Stop by and check it out!

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Kathy&Steve @ TBD•TGG•DYSS

• Anna Sarnes
    Anna Sarnes

I was wondering about the safety issue around children?

• Kelly Greene
    Kelly Greene

Can they be painted/stained without chemicals leaking into the plants? I'm new to outdoor projects, thanks.

• We haven't tried it, but as porous as cement it, I would think at least paint would be safe on the outside because it forms a film over the surface. Stain however is made to seep into the material, so I wouldn't try that... Hope our opinion helps you decide!

• Sjt29229935
    Sjt29229935
    Just now

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!! I have an oriental flair to the front gardens and trying to figure out something to compliment it offering a water area for butterflies and bath for birds. This will be perfect! Can't use as a feeder as other critters (squirrels and racoons) tend to raid easy access areas.  However, I see previous comments mentioned adding a water feature. That will be great. However, how do I seal the segments to hold water? Do I paint with one of the sealing paints or maybe use a plastic container to use as an insert? How would you suggest I completely block the hole? I will use small stones for the butterflies to land on, but bird bathtub could be trickier. Thanks for any suggestions. So excited to get the cement blocks and build this terrific accent piece!

• Joan Stanley
    Joan Stanley

I really like this! Brings interest to higher levels than the plants on the ground. I'd use the rebar for safety insurance from roudy dogs. 😀

• Susie
    Susie

I love the look of this. Thanks for sharing.