How To Get Rid Of Mildew Smell On Towels and Clothes

I've been noticing a weird mildew smell coming from our laundry room, so I went on a hunt to find out what was causing it. I found a crumpled up towel that wreaked of mildew behind our washer that must have gotten left there when our hot water tank leaked. I washed it as I normally do my laundry, but the mildew smell persisted. So, I decided to try a trick that I read about in a magazine years ago...it worked like a charm, and is super inexpensive!
Mildewed towel.
The magic product...vinegar!
Pour in washer with NO DETERGENT, and wash on hot...
Towels come out fresh and fluffy...mildew smell gone! If the smell still persists, I have one more trick up my sleeve! To view more details and tons of cleaning tips, visit my blog, below!

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Mom4Real

• Cynthia Jordan

With no detergent, how clean will the towels be?

• Judy

The took had already been washed so she washing an already clean but stinky towel, vinegar is a cleaner in itself so it would not need to be re washed with soap and any smell disipates once dry, another bonus the vinegar locks the colour in so the towel would not fade any more than it already has

• Sharon Codner

How much vinegar do you use? I would like to just wash all of my towels to get rid of any foreign smells.

• Nina jordan-smith

Another way to get rid of any smells (mildew, pet...anything) is to put OdoBan in during the rinse cycle. There are so many fragrances now to use. OdoBan is the best. I clean my carpets both in the house and car with it...I use it to clean everything.

• Linda

OdoBan has a wonderfully clean odor if used properly. I had a dog kennel for years and diluting the OdoBan left all my pens and floors smelling like the fresh air. Many compliments over the years from my buyers on how clean everything smelled :-)

• Holly Kay

Thank you! I think that's a very helpful post for all of us. It is true that sometimes even if we wash the towels they still smell bad.