The Microphone Chandelier

$156
Advanced

Okay. A box of microphones, a string of Christmas lights, and a can of gold spray paint walk into a bar. The gold spray paint, being the most flamboyant of the group, yells, "Shots are on me tonight! WOO!!" None of them remembers what happens after that, but apparently one thing leads to another. Because the next morning, the three of them wake up like this:

The Golden Microphone Chandelier

Isn't that totally freakin' AWESOME?? Now, the microphones and the Christmas lights and the spray paint can't tell you what happened that night, but luckily for you readers, I was there. And I took pictures. And if you're not too creeped out yet, here's how I made this chandelier: Step 1: Find a bunch of really really really cheap microphones. These blue plastic ones were $2 a piece on eBay. I used 16 of them.

Cheap microphone turned into a light fixture.

Step 2: Take all the sound components out of the microphone and replace them with light components from the Christmas lights. Step 3: Carefully map out where you want your microphones to go, then drill 16 meticulously-placed holes in the hollow-brass ball you purchased from a lamp supply company.

The hub of a Sputnik chandelier.

Step 4: Slide hollow rods (also purchased from a lamp supply store) over the microphone cables and into the plastic connector piece at the end.

How to build a microphone chandelier.

Step 5: Slide the rods through the holes you drilled in the brass ball. Secure the rods on the inside and outside with nuts.

How to build a microphone chandelier.
Sputnik chandelier made of gold microphones.
Microphone Chandelier: up close.
Microphone Chandelier.

31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Sarah's Big Idea

• Suzy3a

I have just moved my recording studio to my new husband's house (in another state) and planning out the layout for the room. This is an awesome idea for the light fixture. My mics aint' cheap so I'll have to do some digging to find that many, but this will look great in there! Thank you so for much for sharing. I wonder how it would work with an old pole lamp? Got any ideas?

• Amarillolesa

It might work if you used really short rods. Even doing that I think itight be topheavy for most pole lights plus running the risk of smacking into the microphones and light bulbs. But it never hurts to try it out.

• Jean

If anyone knows what to do with a pole lamp, mine is black pole and a funnel shade. It reminds me of funeral homes. What can I do to make it at least look presentable?

• Tammy

Spray paint shade and base - pom Pom or tassel trim around bottom edge of shade and punch holes into the shade in whatever pattern you desire - the light reflecting out is adorable !!! Be bold!!!! Be brave!!! 😊😘

• Tina

How clever! It looks really good!!