How to Make a Christmas Ornament Wreath With a Wire Hanger

I know what you're thinking: "Oh great, another Christmas ornament wreath tutorial," BUT my tutorial comes with a twist! I made my wreath one-handed. That's right, a glue gun in one hand and a cocktail in the other. Hazardous, perhaps, but my point is if you prefer your projects to be rather quick and effortless...so much so that you can slam down a shot of tequila while working on it, then read on my friend...
These wreaths are SO easy and inexpensive to make.
All you'll need is a wire coat hanger, a glue gun, Christmas garland swag,
and some ornaments (cocktail is optional).
I found most of my ornaments at the Dollar Store. A handful of the larger red ones were given to me by my mom a few years ago. For the ornaments, you'll want to use a variety of sizes, textures, and colors. I used around 50 ornaments to complete this project.
The collage below is a step-by-step guide of how to create your own ornament wreath.
Approximately $9.00 and 30 minutes later and I've got myself a pretty and festive holiday wreath! Now go grab your glue gun (and a bottle of wine).

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Memorial Day Crafts
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Delightfully Noted

• Flora

Love this. will make one. I did not see what the glue gun was used for. Was it to stick the bulbs together?

• Pamela J. Ludington-Rice

You need to glue the little tops of the ornaments so they don't come off. Glue gun could be used or probably any craft glue? Also she may have used the glue gun for the pinecone and tinsel decorations! I have wanted to make one of these for years! I may just do it NOW!!!

• Shawna Bailey

Good answer Pamela!

• Shelese Demeritte

Good day, how do you place the ornament on the hanger?

• Delightfully Noted

You just slide the ornaments on the hanger through their hooks.

• Nna14352865

I also have made one these and ornaments that doesn't have the hook for various reasons . You can turn to inside and glue to two ornaments

• Eli13641939

I still can't work out how you got all the balls on as there are several all together .

• Delightfully Noted

You just keep sliding them on the hanger, the more you put on the more they "poof" out like that.

• Jen15162380

Using balls that are of different sizes will help to fill in gaps & makes it interesting

• LuAnnMcElhaney

After you attach the holiday foliage do you twist the hanger back together at the top to hang it ?

• Cay14742262

How do you twist the hanger back together without breaking the hanger because every time that's what happens to me?!

• Delightfully Noted

Wow , that's weird wire hangers are typically really hard to even bend, I'm surprised they're breaking on you! I didn't have that problem at all. Maybe see if you can find some thicker wire hangers. Sorry, wish I had a better answer!

• Jen15162380

Use needle nose plyers and carefully bend into desired shape

• Fre3152328

I used bread ties or zip ties to closensure the hanger. :-)

• Meridith zimmerman

Approximately how large in diameter would you say the wreath turns out to be using one hanger? Thx!

• Trisha huber

I might have missed something but what do you use glue gun for?

• Delightfully Noted

Hi, Trisha at the bottom of every post on Hometalk there's a link that says "see more" and it takes you every blogger's full tutorial. We usually only share snippets here. The glue gun is used for gluing the tops/caps down on the ornaments so they don't pop off. Hope that helps!

• Eileen McGuire Hahn

Maybe this sounds stupid but how do you string the ornaments to the wire?

• Eileen McGuire Hahn

Oppss just figured it out lol...Beautiful project. Thanks for sharing💜

• Shawna Bailey

Yea I had to look at that a few times too to see how it was done.

• Delightfully Noted

Thanks Eileen! Yes, all of the bloggers share snippets here and then if you click the link at the bottom of the post that says "see more" it shows more of the steps!

• Renae Hill

Do you have to use two different size ornaments? Can you use ornaments all the same size?

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, but the smaller ones fill in the empty spaces better. If you only use the larger ones you might have gaps. If you only use the smaller ones then it will be less full looking.

• Sandra LEE Olson

How do u string the bulbs ? & how do u get the hanger wrapped after u place the bulbs, to hang it ??

• Delightfully Noted

You string the hanger through the tops of the ornaments. At the bottom of the post there's a "see more" link that will show you additional info

• Clr6358937

How did you connect the wire after the balls are on? The wire is not easy to manipulate.

• Delightfully Noted

I just twisted the wire hanger back together. Mine was easy to manipulate but perhaps using pliers would help!

• Clr6358937

I used dry cleaning hangers because they are the thinnest I could find and even a burly friend with pliers couldn't connect them well. I used white electricians tape to connect the ends. The finished wreaths (I made six) are thick and stick out when hung by the top of the hanger. They are beautiful but not as easy as indicated.

• Delightfully Noted

Wow! That's some strong hangers!

• Kitty

Do you string each bulb onto the wire,or just the base amount, then glue the others to the ones already there?

• Shawna Bailey

I think she strung each one on.

• Delightfully Noted

String each one one. You can see the full tutorial on my blog if you click the "see more" link at the bottom of the post above. I also talk about hot gluing the tops of the ornaments so they don't pop off while stringing them onto the hanger. Happy crafting!

• Jewellmartin

Gluing the caps on is practical. And gluing exactly where the balls touch each other is, also. I think I could line up the balls in a spiral design. To have the wreath end up flat makes sense to me for my storm door and kitchen wall. Thank you. ☺️

• Vickie

I tried gluing plastic ornaments ( purple, green and gold) to make a Mardi Gras wreath and the glue I used fell apart in about a month! And I used gorilla hot glue sticks! Very disappointing to say the least. So that project is put in box until next year to try again. Any ideas what I did wrong?

• Tebello

can you actually do this in class and pleas give me more ideas to do in class for charismas , I love your idea

• Shannon

I did mine but they keep popping off and breaking into the floor. What am I doing wrong? I have less than 50 on there.

• Delightfully Noted

Did you hot glue the caps on?

• Sandra

Hi Shannon

You May need to use the plastic shatterproof ornaments instead of the glass ones, wreath will last much longer

Good luck !

• Susan gibbs

Glue the caps onto the balls before stringing.

• Marsha Kearney

Even with plastic ornaments, glue the caps on otherwise they will pop off too. Here’s mine. Coat hanger, plastic ornaments, and burlap for a bow.

• Sarge

I'm way late to this party (6/11/2019) however, I made one of these 2 seasons ago and I hot glued the "cap" onto the actual ornament and once all of the ornaments were on the wire the way I wanted (color scheme wise) I hot glued them to each other so they didn't move around.

*I also do this to the ornaments on my Christmas tree since they too are all glass. I host breakfast and gift opening at my place and I would hate to have them break while overzealous lil ones are trying to grab gifts.

• Pops Calhoun

Did you glue the wire bulb hanger to the bulb?

• McGuinness4

I am definitely going to do this. A wire hanger, ornaments, glue gun and a glass of wine. I love this project.

• Rose

Yes