Time With Thea
Time With Thea
  • Canada

From Old And Faded To New And Fabulous Recovered Ottoman

I was looking for an ottoman for the family room area in the basement but didn't want to spend a lot of money. I had also stayed away from ottomans that had piping sewn in because I thought in order to reupholster a piece of furniture like this I had to include the piping and I was not interested in doing all of that extra work.
re uphostered, diy, home decor, repurposing upcycling
But after I came across this old and faded ottoman in a thrift store I figured out a much better way to turn it into a new and fabulous piece of furniture. Instead of thinking that it had to be reupholstered, the process of giving it a new look and a new life is to simply recover it! This is the before picture!
This is the after picture!
I simply covered the ottoman with this pretty blue fabric as if I were wrapping a gift. But I turned the fabric under about an inch and used a staple gun to secure it along the bottom edge.
For the sides I used the same technique as for gift wrapping. But it didn't work to fold the fabric into a triangle shape with diagonal lines and meet at a point. Instead I folded the fabric with more of a straight line and had it meet at the bottom with a straight edge and stapled it underneath. The photograph here shows exactly how it was done.
The last step was to hand stitch the corners to give it a nice finished look!
I have to say I am really pleased with how it turned out and I could not believe how easy it was to do. It looks fabulous in the family room and is super cozy to rest your feet on while watching some television.
For more details and specific instructions I invite you to visit the blog.

Time With Thea

• Trudi

love it! thank you , it is inspiring! greatings from Trudi, The Netherlands

• Time With Thea

Thank you Trudi! I really appreciate the positive feedback. Perhaps you can tell from my first name that I am Canadian but I grew up in a very Dutch home. It is my first spoken language.

• Trudi

hey Thea, i had my hollidays so I haven't reply. Wat leuk dat je eigenlijk ook een beetje Nederlands bent!! groetjes, Trudi