Kristin
Kristin
  • San Marcos, CA

How to paint wicker furniture

Step by step tutorial on how to paint wicker furniture.
how to paint wicker furniture, painted furniture
Before (ugly)
Before (ugly)
I brushed on 1 coat of oil based primer
I brushed on 1 coat of oil based primer
Spray painted 3 coats of black semi gloss paint.
Sealed it with a coat of Helmsman® Spar Urethane since it is specially formulated  for exterior or interior wood that is exposed to sunlight.  Enjoy your new piece of furniture!
Sealed it with a coat of Helmsman® Spar Urethane since it is specially formulated for exterior or interior wood that is exposed to sunlight. Enjoy your new piece of furniture!
Kristin

• Terry Hoffert

How did you clean/prepare the furniture before painting? I found an old high-back chair that needs tender care and is pretty faded and somewhat dirty too. I want to have it useable inside & outside. thank you.

• Jessica

bump! totally need to know--have some filthy old wicker and need to clean it thoroughly
    • Jan Christianson

I found my rattan chair on the curb. I used a power sprayer to remove the dirt and peeling paint. It took seconds!
  • Non7867710

You used black paint? The after pictures looks brown. I would prefer more of a natural brown look. Any suggestions?

• P

I have painted loads of wicker and I prefer to use a short stubby brush to apply paint out of the can, It gives a better finish and is MUCH friendlier to the environment. You waste so much when you use spray cans not to mention the overspray that goes everywhere including up your nose. I find the brush method relaxing also. try it you will love the results.

• Laurie Harry

I am so glad to hear someone say a paintbrush works too. Everywhere I look I hear spray paint wicker, but I just really didn't want to do that so I've been putting my projects on hold. I have three wicker chairs to do and now I just might give them a whirl. Do you have trouble getting into all the nooks and crannys with a short stubby brush?

• Mar2152614

Has anyone tried deck paint?