Bethany P
Bethany P
  • Saint Petersburg, FL

Before You Pitch Those White Resin Chairs...

$35
1.5 Days

Living in Florida with a screened (but no roof) pool, means we're sort of married to plastic pool furniture. We had three used-to-be blue chairs that had faded over time and we had inherited a couple of white plastic chairs when we moved into the house. All but one of them had been stacked by the shed gathering all manner of nastiness for the past year and a half.
When I decided it was time to deal with
before you pitch those white resin chairs, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture
We used to be blue - now we're just BLAH!
Gathering dirt, leaves and stains!
Rustoleum Ultra Cover - I chose the brightest, tropical colors I could find!
I painted the under side/back of all of them first. I single coated the backs/bottoms and double-triple coated the fronts and sides.
After the first two I was so delighted with how they were turning out, I couldn't wait to get them all done!
Just a little tip - red and orange took a lot more paint to cover the chairs. Not sure why - but each of these got a third coat.
Then it was time for some "customizing"!!
I used a printed image - simple chalk transfer and then painted the image on the chair.
EDITED: I'm including instructions for this as I've received a lot of questions about chalk transferring.
Print any image from your computer. Rub chalk all over the back of the image page (I use sidewalk chalk because it's bigger). Turn it over and lay it, chalk-side-down, onto your project. Trace over your image with a pen or pencil. When you remove the page you will have a chalk outline to paint.
Had to represent our Florida Gators!
And then some tropical fun!
What do you think?

• Mar5365451

What paint did you use for the chairs? Did you use varnish the chairs after the paint dried?

• Cheryl May

Whoops. I accidentally hit the wrong thing. 🙃 I have painted chairs like these also. They came out great and are still looking good 5 yrs later. I washed mine with TSP after a good cleaning with soap and water.

• Sybil Wilson

What do you think would be the equivalent paint in the UK as I don't think I have ever seen the paint you used over here ?

• Ss134027062

You should be able to order this same paint online. Rust-Oleum products have been around for a very long time. Also, you might ask at your local home improvement store and they should be able to help you.

• S

I tried this and the paint peeled! Did you treat your chairs with something prior to painting them? And how many cans per chair?? Yours look FAB!

• Pat hayes

same answer here.....did you REALLY clean them well? prep work is always key when it comes to painting.....and use oil based spray paint.

• Jackie

I love this. Thanks. I have 3 very faded chairs.

• Alysha Gomez

Wow!! Saw another project w/ glue & napkins but this looks much easier!! I have several white plastic patio chairs. This will really brighten up the patio.

Thank you for your wonderful idea.