Before You Pitch Those White Resin Chairs...

$35
1.5 Days

Living in Florida with a screened (but no roof) pool, means we're sort of married to plastic pool furniture. We had three used-to-be blue chairs that had faded over time and we had inherited a couple of white plastic chairs when we moved into the house. All but one of them had been stacked by the shed gathering all manner of nastiness for the past year and a half.
When I decided it was time to deal with the awful seating situation around the pool - I hated the idea of pitching 5 plastic chairs, only to spend about $100 to replace them with 5 more ugly plastic chairs. After doing some research, I figured it was worth giving some plastic paint a shot. Here's the results!
We used to be blue - now we're just BLAH!
Gathering dirt, leaves and stains!
Rustoleum Ultra Cover - I chose the brightest, tropical colors I could find!
I painted the under side/back of all of them first. I single coated the backs/bottoms and double-triple coated the fronts and sides.
After the first two I was so delighted with how they were turning out, I couldn't wait to get them all done!
Just a little tip - red and orange took a lot more paint to cover the chairs. Not sure why - but each of these got a third coat.
Then it was time for some "customizing"!!
I used a printed image - simple chalk transfer and then painted the image on the chair.
EDITED: I'm including instructions for this as I've received a lot of questions about chalk transferring.
Print any image from your computer. Rub chalk all over the back of the image page (I use sidewalk chalk because it's bigger). Turn it over and lay it, chalk-side-down, onto your project. Trace over your image with a pen or pencil. When you remove the page you will have a chalk outline to paint.
Had to represent our Florida Gators!
And then some tropical fun!
What do you think?

• Mar5365451

What paint did you use for the chairs? Did you use varnish the chairs after the paint dried?

• Chris Eilerman

Sure wish the pic of paint was clearer since won't say the exact type of paint. Rustoleum has so many!

• Sybil Wilson

What do you think would be the equivalent paint in the UK as I don't think I have ever seen the paint you used over here ?

• Ss134027062

You should be able to order this same paint online. Rust-Oleum products have been around for a very long time. Also, you might ask at your local home improvement store and they should be able to help you.

• S

I tried this and the paint peeled! Did you treat your chairs with something prior to painting them? And how many cans per chair?? Yours look FAB!

• Katy

Any oily residue (even from a cleaning/degreasing pdt) could make the paint less adherent. I think the hot sun "prepped" your plastic chairs well enough to take the spray paint well. Farther away from Equator, I'd opt to rough up the plastic a bit more. TSP (trisodium phosphate, a mildly abrasive surface cleaner I've used for my garage floor, vinyl siding; enviro-friendlier option that is phosphate-free) and plenty of water is probably better than Fantastic, Windex, or other commercial prdts designed to put a little 'glossiness' onto the surface of whatever you are cleaning.

• Jackie

I love this. Thanks. I have 3 very faded chairs.

• Alysha Gomez

Wow!! Saw another project w/ glue & napkins but this looks much easier!! I have several white plastic patio chairs. This will really brighten up the patio.

Thank you for your wonderful idea.