Sarah M
Sarah M
  • Carthage, MO

Have a Rotted Tree in Your Yard? Build a Fairy Door!

My rotted tree in my back yard. I have wanted to do something with this tree for quite some time.
have a rotted tree in your yard build a fairy door, gardening, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects
Decided to cover up the hole with a Fairy door.
I bought a piece of quarter inch plywood to use for the door. I drew the door pattern to fit the hole, and cut it out.
Used the jig saw to cut around the outline.
I made a pattern for the hinges and cut them out. I had ample wood left over, so I made the hinges out of wood.
I used paint for the door and hinges that I already had on the shelf in the garage. Keeping the cost for this project on a shoestring budget.
Found me a tree limb that would work for a door handle. Found just the piece I needed. The tree needed trimming anyway. I didn't want to paint it, so I used "clear Coat" on it. It took about four coats.
The finished project!...total cost was $8.21.
I decided to add a window to the Fairy Door!

• Dda22508589

If you don't have a tree stump, why can't you use a large piece of trimmed wood from the tree and set it upright?

• Yvonne 'Nan' Larson

How did you make pattern for the door? So it would fit the door space.

• Ericka Nicole Dixon

R those two diffrent doors!?? Its looks like it from looking at the tops of the doors

• Chrissy Wells

John, Of course I had to check what you noticed but, From what I can see and think is......the pictures are taken as she made the adjustments to fit the tree. It looks like at one point she tried the door inside the tree and then decided it looked better on the outside. Which it does look better that way.

• Kelly-n-Tony

You did a wonderful job with this fairy tree!

• Jiw20176941

I have several stumps where we have recently had to cut down trees or bushes. I have plans for all of them!