Outdoor Lighting From Dollar Store Items

I really wanted some outdoor lighting and knew that I could make something fun myself. My husband and I were at the dollar store and I found some hanging planter baskets and some small solar table lamps. I turned those into these.
I used a wire hanging planter basket, a solar table lamp, double sided tape, wire, brackets and wire cutters and scissors.
Remove the base from the light then remove the light from the shade. Drill three holes in the shade for the wires.
Remove the chain from the planter and set it aside. Attach the shade by using wire through the holes in the shade. Keep tightening the sides until it secure and even. Then push the wires down and clip them a little if needed.
I added some double sided tape to the solar lights to help secure them into the shade. Then just push them into the shade. Mine held pretty good. I wasn't afraid they would fall out.
Then you want to grab the chain and remove as many links as you want to have it at the length you want. Keep the clips that attach the chain to the planter. I have seven links then the clips. This is your finished product.
Hang your brackets then hang the planter from the bracket.
What do you think? Please visit my blog for more fun ideas!

Michelle James

• Terri

Where did you find the hangers on the fence lights????? How did they mount???? Thanks.....

• Ireland Dowling

Hi Terri, they also sell the brackets at the dollar tree or most dollar stores.
  • You think the $1 solar yard lights would work instead of lamp?

• Michelle James

Hi Cherie! I think they would if you can get them to hang in the plant hanger. That would be the only trick.

• Christina

I hope you don't mind me suggesting an addition to your great DIY and ingenuity? It would be awesome to recreate this by also wrapping fairy lights around the black basket. It would create more light, while maintaining the softness , around any outdoor space. This would also showcase the basket of a night, which is in my opinion the beauty/show stopper of the project.
    Thank you for the wonderful DIY idea. I love it.
    Christina Perry Lang
    • Michelle James

That is a great idea. I need to remake these and get new solar lights the fairy lights would be awesome. Thanks.

• Artemis

I saw this on a gardening website and decided to make my own. I have several old hanging baskets so I used those and added a little bling. Good job!
    • Artemis

Thanks, I actually made four (I had 2 that matched and another 2 that matched). It was so easy and tons of fun. I used glass shades that I got from Goodwill and used black wire wound tightly around the top rim of the shade and looped it up to hang on the "S" hooks. I didn't try to use one piece of wire, I used two to make it more secure and so I would have two "hooks" hanging from the "S" hook. I hope that helps (and makes sense). I'd love to see yours when you're done remodeling them.