Confessions of a Serial DIYer
Confessions of a Serial DIYer
  • Virginia Beach, VA

DIY Spindle Wind Chimes

Hi Hometalkers! Today I'm sharing a fun project I created using some estate sale spindles I found a couple of months ago. This was part of a one-tool challenge where we had to create something using only one power tool, and for this round, we could only use a drill. Here's what I came up with:
diy spindle wind chimes, crafts, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
Cute right? They started out like this...
They were only $2! They've actually been rolling around on the floorboard of my car since I bought them.
Here is what you'll need to complete this project (missing is a ring to hang them):
I got lucky with finding these spindles, but you could use spindles from an old chair or crib also.
I started by spray painting my pieces. The round piece is what the chimes will hang from and is actually the base to a thrift store candle stick:
Next I drilled a tiny hole in the top of each spindle:
And in the top piece of my chimes:
Then I threaded 12" pieces fine fishing line through the colored spindles...
And up through the top, then I knotted it several times to prevent them from pulling through:
For the white spindles, since these would be the ones that will be attached to the ring to hang at the very top, I used 24" pieces of fine fishing line. I threaded them through the hole of the spindle, and then knotted them several times before threading them through the top piece:
Then I attached them to the ring at the top:
This sweet bird had a chipped beak, but I just couldn't throw him away. He made the perfect topper! I attached him with E6000 glue.
I love the fun pop of color that this adds to my garden!
I just love painted spindles...
As you can see, I sanded these a bit as well.
Not a bad new life for those old spindles, eh?
To see 12 more fun projects created using only a drill, follow the link below!

Confessions of a Serial DIYer

• Bill

Confessions I have also seen them made with empty dried out coconut shells ( they can be left in a full circle ( drained ) or cut shell in half ). Hang the shell under the center of the circle.

• ByLightOfMoon

I Adore these colors , Great Job! Pretty garden music! Smiles, Cyndi