DIY Tomato Cage Bird Bath

$20

I needed a small bird bath that would withstand the Florida sun and heat. Not easy to find. So, whats a gardener to do? Make one!
Items you need: Any size and color tomato cage Wire cutters Outdoor spray paint in a color of your choice Polyurethane clear spray Terracotta pot bottom the same size as the top of your tomato cage I chose a green tomato cage to be hidden in the garden but there are so many fun colors out there today to choose from. I also took my terracotta pot bottom and painted it with a couple coats of outdoor blue paint I had in the garage and also spray sealed it. I thought the color of the blue gave it a swimming pool effect.
I had hubby cut off right above the bottom ring of the tomato cage so it wouldn’t be so high in the garden. You wouldn’t have to do this if you have a larger garden or want it to be tall and let plants grow up the tomato cage.
Insert the tomato cage in the garden and just lay the pot bottom on top and fill with water. What I also love about the bird bath is its so easy to clean. Just take off the top, wash off and refill with water. The paint has held up nicely with no chipping. So be sure to seal it before using it with a good poly urethane clear spray.
I have a pair of doves who especially love stopping by for a morning drink. This project is super easy to make. You can read more about my DIY Tomato Cage Bird Bath and other garden ideas in the link below.

• Wire tomato cage
  • Wire cutters
  • Outdoor spray paint

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Tammy - My Life Abundant

• Brenda Malinski Howard

I was wondering if the poly was toxic. Seems like it would be. Any comments?

• Tammy - My Life Abundant

I'm not sure how to answer that because you look at any bird bath and they are painted. I haven't had any problems with mine at all. I do keep it clean though because with it sitting in the sun green stuff will grow on it. So, I just wash it down good with soap and water, and refill.

• Janie Krumrine Farner

There is non-toxic paint that is safe for birds and other animals because they ARE affected by the chemicals leeching into the water. Your doves that keep returning are the ones that could be most effected by the poison in the paint and mostly the urathane sealer. Most professional bird baths are fire glazed and not painted.

• Lana Krumpus

If you put two pre-1982 pennnies in your birdbath, they will keep it from getting scummy.

• MK McDonald

Wellll, the lovebirds keep coming back, so I think that would answer your question, don't you?
    • Lynn Wall

The terracotta has to be sealed because it's porous, so first finding a water repellent sealer

• Bren Branch

This is a great idea that I want to copy. Thank you for sharing your project with us. I have a great spot for mine.

• Jeanette

No, because some poisons do not have an immediate effect.

• Yylowinger

When you cut off the bottom ring, did you just cut the ring, or did you also cut the "feet"? The part of the tomato ring that's in the ground - how long is it?
    • Tammy - My Life Abundant

It wasn't the bottom ring, it was the top ring and the legs. But then it depends on how big your terra cotta pot bottom is on which end you cut off.