Janel Santos
Janel Santos
  • Blackfoot, ID

1963 Dresser Finally Redone

This is the before. Many years ago, I was going to distress paint it with green undertones. Life took over instead. I had lots of cleaning and sanding. I used lots of bleach, liquid TSP and then smoothed it all after it dried with fine sand paper blocks.
BEFORE
BEFORE
My Dad built this dresser for me for High School Graduation, in 1963. It was the last thing he built. It was stained brown and very "loved" through the years. I finally finished the repair and redo.
AFTER
AFTER
Every time I open the drawers, I will smile. I love the pop of color. It makes you happy.
dresser makeover, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Gave everything an off white base coat...top, bottom, inside and out. I don't like bare wood against clothes. I gave the dresser frame and the drawer fronts & sides 2 more coats of off white. I love mistints from the stores. I get what I like then I make my own colors.
Painted the inside of the drawers with acrylic craft paints that I had...very cool colors. I then used a matte spray sealer on the inside of the drawers.
I used "Shabby Paints, Brown Vax" for the brown distressing and to seal the main body. Note that the inside has one coat of paint. Took this puppy inside to make room for my canvas.
This is my canvas. I sketched onto some shipping paper first ( I was afraid to sketch onto the drawers) then I used graphite to transfer. Never again...I will just sketch onto the painted item. The graphite is messy, smears and is a pain to get off.
My canvas...very scary. Just rough sketching.
I did my painting with the Vax and 3 shades of acrylics.
I tried to "not do too much". It's hard to stop. With the paints, I could see and feel the art part of it. I loved it. I sealed the drawer faces with a matte spray coat.
I wanted to keep it as much of my Dad as I could. I cleaned the old copper knobs and I sprayed them with Rustoleums Hammered bronze.
I used wax on the sliders and drawers. Put all the numbered drawers in place and I'm pleased.
It goes great with my DIY chalk painted wooden ladder...
...and my husbands old wardrobe make over (it's apple green inside) and his little stool and deer sketch I made.

• Joan Tomicki

What kind of wax did you use on the sliders mine are raw wood and they leave shaved wood pieces each time the drawers are opened and closed. Please help me

• Anne Noordhof

You can get a wood wax at most large home improvement stores. Ask in the paint and stain dept for paste wax. Hope this helps.😀