Sherre M
Sherre M
  • Morristown, TN

How to Make a Marble Mosaic on an Old Window Frame!

I love stain glass, but it can also be very expensive! Here's my version of budget friendly one!
how to make a marble mosaic on an old window frame, how to, repurposing upcycling, tiling, windows
I got a bunch of old window frames from the restore for $5.00 dollars. I love them so much because of all the possibilities! This one I painted green with chalk paint.
Next I gathered my supply of glass marbles, river stones,& gule. I then took a marker & drew out my trees, rock wall grass & sun. This is going outside in my garden so I used a strong glue, LOCTITE GO2 GEL & glued right onto the glass panes. The glue dries clear so when it's hung both sides are pretty!
I did the rock wall, trees, grass, sun & small batch of pink flowers 1st. then filled in my sky. This isn't hard, just a little time-consuming!
Here I'm starting to fill it all in, I had to stop ever now & then to un-stick my finger!!!
And here it is! This is going outside in my garden, it looks beautiful with the sun shining thru! My husband is making me two rustic shutters to attach to the sides. thinking about doing a lake & cabin scene next! What do ya think?

• Tracie Bates

Did you break up the glass for the sun and the "bush" in the lower left corner?

Great project!!!

• Sharonsgarden

This is not my project, but it appears that the glass is small pieces. You can often find crushed glass that would work for this or make your own. Jewelry places usually carry this and it has been tumbled to remove sharp edges.

• Suzan Raja

Did u paste them on glass or hard board

• Sharonsgarden

This would be on glass to let the sun shine through. If your window does not have glass, you can get new ones cut, although for strength and safety, acrylic ones would be best. I believe most hardware stores have this.

• Sandye real

I absolutely love this but can’t tell what you did with the bush and the sun is it just ground glass?

• Fehmida Shaikh

Love it. I try. One day. I askd. YOU used glue???

• Sharonsgarden

Yes, you would need to use glue. For indoors, you could use weldbond, which is a PVA glue, similar to Elmer’s. don’t be alarmed if you glue ismwhite for a while. Just put it in a window to dry for a few days. Just don’t get carried away with too much glue.

• Ko

I used marbles and it was to heavy for the glass and it broke.

• Madeleine

What kind of marbles? Were they the flat bottomed ones used in vases? How big was your mosaic? I want to do this for a project for my daughter's class, but now I am worried!