Sherre M
Sherre M
  • Morristown, TN

How to Make a Marble Mosaic on an Old Window Frame!

I love stain glass, but it can also be very expensive! Here's my version of budget friendly one!
how to make a marble mosaic on an old window frame, how to, repurposing upcycling, tiling, windows
I got a bunch of old window frames from the restore for $5.00 dollars. I love them so much because of all the possibilities! This one I painted green with chalk paint.
Next I gathered my supply of glass marbles, river stones,& gule. I then took a marker & drew out my trees, rock wall grass & sun. This is going outside in my garden so I used a strong glue, LOCTITE GO2 GEL & glued right onto the glass panes. The glue dries clear so when it's hung both sides are pretty!
I did the rock wall, trees, grass, sun & small batch of pink flowers 1st. then filled in my sky. This isn't hard, just a little time-consuming!
Here I'm starting to fill it all in, I had to stop ever now & then to un-stick my finger!!!
And here it is! This is going outside in my garden, it looks beautiful with the sun shining thru! My husband is making me two rustic shutters to attach to the sides. thinking about doing a lake & cabin scene next! What do ya think?

• Joyceab

what kind of material is the marbles & rocks glued to

• Sherre M

@Joyceab Hi Joy, it's glued to the glass window panes.

• Ech3097257

Kind of glue??? Pls.

• BeckyA

I use Weldbond it goes on white but dries clear. I have also used Lexel.. Make sure your glass is super clean I use alcohol. If the glass is loose I will run a bead of Lexel around the edge.

• Kathy Haines Cramer

She told t old is the glue she used in her directions.

• K bain

Wow What a beautiful design what does the other side look like

• Sherre M

Hi K Bain, it's glass so it exactly like the front, only in reverse.

• Dot D Collett

It is beautiful? Did you use the side of the window where the glass is calked in? Leaving the side of the window that is normally inside exposed to rain? Calking to make sure water is shed off the window would be a good idea.

• Sherre M

Hi Dot, I recalked both sides so glass wouldn't fall out in case of rot. I also bring them in for the winter.

• Darlene M

I have an old front door and the top half is a large pane of glass - I've been looking for ideas that would create privacy, but let in sun. Do you think this would work?

• Kyra

I did not think that chalk paint could be used for outside (rain, etc). Is there a new chalk paint that will withstand these elements. Thanks

• Lucy

I can't tell from looking at the window, which side of the window did you glue the marbles? The outside or inside? The outside with the wood trim? Could I use a metal window frame instead?

• Donna

Probably a silly question, but you put the glue on the flat side of the marbles, right? Also, did you draw on the opposite side that you glued on so you could take it off later?

• Susi Ly

Where do you place your finished window? Do you hang it somewhere or just stand it on the ground? I assume it is quite heav

• Susi Ly

where do you place your finished window? Do you hang it up or just stand it? I assume it is quite heavy...

• Laura Gaber

Did the glue hold up? I did this with a window frame a few years ago using different types of glass globs/wiggles/etc. After a couple years all the gems fell off the glass. I also used cut stained glass and these also fell off. I have been replacing the panels with stained glass- but wanted to know if your glue held up.

• Sta7842973

what about the weight of these pieces? I wonder sometimes if the glass and frame can take it.

• Kay

Stained glass hanging broke in wind. So with the empty ¼ inch thin metal frame, can i glue a sheet of metal to the empty frame and then glue on the glass marbles as you did?? I also heard of a pofessionally used by artists double sided tape, on AMazon! Might that work?

• Lori

What did you use for the sun and the bush(?)?
  • Pat Scuteri

HOw do you hang something so heavy on a wall?
  • Ene31820998

Beautiful project!! I'm wondering if the window can handle the weight of all the pebbles and glass??

• Jacqueline

I love this idea. Do you think I could do this but use an epoxy resin instead of glue? JDF
  • Ursula

Do you have any photos of the light coming through from the back? I'm thinking, I have some small leadlight windows that actually need serious repairing, I could replace the leadlight with a single pane of glass and do this project on them. How much light passing through is lost? You've inspired me.
  • Tracie Bates

Did you break up the glass for the sun and the "bush" in the lower left corner?

Great project!!!
    • Sharonsgarden

This is not my project, but it appears that the glass is small pieces. You can often find crushed glass that would work for this or make your own. Jewelry places usually carry this and it has been tumbled to remove sharp edges.

• Dana

Sun is smashed yellow flat marbles.

Bush is green sand.

• Suzan Raja

Did u paste them on glass or hard board

• Sharonsgarden

This would be on glass to let the sun shine through. If your window does not have glass, you can get new ones cut, although for strength and safety, acrylic ones would be best. I believe most hardware stores have this.

• Sandye real

I absolutely love this but can’t tell what you did with the bush and the sun is it just ground glass?

• Ko

I used marbles and it was to heavy for the glass and it broke.

• Madeleine

What kind of marbles? Were they the flat bottomed ones used in vases? How big was your mosaic? I want to do this for a project for my daughter's class, but now I am worried!

• Jan Thomas

If the glass marbles, flat backed, are too heavy try using buttons