DIY Sisal Rope Storage Ottoman

This month our chosen item was sisal/manila rope, and it took me awhile to figure out what to make. I finally came up with a storage ottoman; made from a milk crate!
I started with thick sisal rope from Home Depot, as well as fabric, foam cushion, wood, a milk crate, and a few other items.
I glued an end of the rope to the bottom of the crate, and kept wrapping. I added glue as I went, making sure to pull tight as it dried.
I kept wrapping until I got to the top, and then added more rope on the top of the crate so no green would show through.
I cut some wood to fit just inside the "lip" of the crate. I then traced the wood onto some foam cushion and cut it out.
I then flipped the wood and cushion over onto some fabric, and cut out the fabric about 6 inches bigger on all 4 sides so I could staple it to the back.
Using my staple gun, I pulled each side tight and stapled it down on the back.
I folded the corners like a present and stapled them, too. Then I attached a piece of ribbon so I could easily lift the lid off the crate.
And that was it! While it was time consuming, I'm in love with how it turned out and it was totally worth it!
It's perfectly functional as storage (and currently houses toys!), and a relaxing ottoman!
To see the more detailed tutorial, head on over to my blog below!

Amanda @ Dwelling In Happiness

• Michele

I'm in love with the fabric. Where did you find it?

• Denise Dome

It looks like this is a posting from several years ago so I'm wondering how well its holding up & did you use a high heat or low heat glue gun?

• JoAnn

It says high heat. If you follow the link to amazon for the glue gun.

• Kathy

what are the measurements of the wood piece for the top?

• Kymberlee Ann Conry Cheney

I have a ton of these kind of creates that i use for storage and catch all in the shed, yard, garage and laundry but I've always hated the way they look. I've covered then with contact paper Wich was a waist of time and money but this looks like it will hold up pretty well and much much nicer looking. Thanks for the great idea, I'm gonna be busy for at least a week with this one.

• Rosana Halprine

I did this project and it turned out great. Light and easy to move around.