2 Great Ways to Upcycle Old Paint Cans

144K Views
A couple of months ago, when I was cleaning out my workshop, I came across several cans of paint that were either dried up, virtually empty or I hadn’t used the color in 10 years. The paint that still had some life in it was taken to the ReStore but the other cans had definitely outlived their usefulness. Before I tossed them, was there anything they could be used for? So for now, the cans went back on the shelf and have been patiently waiting for me ever since. Well, it has been a couple of months and I finally had an idea…a planter. I’m so glad I’m not on a deadline, because I definitely would have been fired.
  • 2 great ways to upcycle old paint cans, container gardening, crafts, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
First thing I had to do was to peel off the labels from my cans of paint. Since when did a cans of paint start being made out of plastic? The black can is what I found under the label. The glue spots holding on the labels and any paint drips were easily scraped off with a razor blade.
The texture of the black can felt a little like a chalk board, which gave me a new idea. Could I write on it with chalk? Yes. Wouldn’t that be great to store kids toys? Why, yes again.
The chalk will rub right off. If you would like something a bit more permanent, paint on your lettering.
So, for the planters, I wanted a black and white striped pattern. So, first step is to tape off the stripes with painters tape then sprayed with white spray paint.
I wanted to embrace my paint cans history, so I added paint drips around the top of my cans. Purple, for the pansies I picked up at the store.
For more photos, more hints and lots more upcycling ideas I hope you get a chance to stop by.

Suggested materials for this project:

ScavengerChic

• Barb Rosen
      Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE

I love the "drips" on your upcycled cans! : )

• PennyB9
        PennyB9 Muskogee, OK

Love the planters (I agree with Barb that the "drips" add so much)! And how great all those cans become lovely planters and didn't end up in a landfill. Congrats on a couple of great ideas!