2 Great Ways to Upcycle Old Paint Cans

A couple of months ago, when I was cleaning out my workshop, I came across several cans of paint that were either dried up, virtually empty or I hadn’t used the color in 10 years. The paint that still had some life in it was taken to the ReStore but the other cans had definitely outlived their usefulness. Before I tossed them, was there anything they could be used for? So for now, the cans went back on
2 great ways to upcycle old paint cans, container gardening, crafts, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
First thing I had to do was to peel off the labels from my cans of paint. Since when did a cans of paint start being made out of plastic? The black can is what I found under the label. The glue spots holding on the labels and any paint drips were easily scraped off with a razor blade.
The texture of the black can felt a little like a chalk board, which gave me a new idea. Could I write on it with chalk? Yes. Wouldn’t that be great to store kids toys? Why, yes again.
The chalk will rub right off. If you would like something a bit more permanent, paint on your lettering.
So, for the planters, I wanted a black and white striped pattern. So, first step is to tape off the stripes with painters tape then sprayed with white spray paint.
I wanted to embrace my paint cans history, so I added paint drips around the top of my cans. Purple, for the pansies I picked up at the store.
For more photos, more hints and lots more upcycling ideas I hope you get a chance to stop by.
ScavengerChic

• Barb

What about the dried up paint inside the cans? How do you remove it to ensure a clean planting or play environment?

• Barb

Thank You ScavengerChic. I see now that you inserted a pot. I missed that and thought plants were potted in the paint can itself. Hence my concern about the paint. Thanks again. Barb

• Deb

I am going to do this, what a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing! I think I will put some pebbles in the bottom ( 3 or 4 inches up from the bottom) , a few holes right above the pebbles for drainage. That way it will retain water below the holes but will drain off to keep the roots from rotting.

• Norma Prettyman

Yes....maybe this winter to be ready for Spring ! Thanks !