Blitsy
Blitsy
  • Chicago, IL

Make An Anthro-Inspired Starburst Mirror With Styrofoam And Wire

Sometimes all you need to make a room stand out is it a little shimmer from a mirror!
When I saw the Queen Anne's Lace Mirror from Anthropologie, I swear I felt a little pitter patter from my heart. I thought the mirror was absolutely stunning. The gold bent wires that came out from the mirror were so delicate looking, even though they were made out of wire. I took on the challenge of creating my own version of this eye-catching piece using supplies we sell here at Blitsy. I think what I ended up with is pretty spot-on to the real deal!
To create my Anthropologie lookalike, I used styrofoam and wire. The real mccoy actually uses metal. Since I am no metalsmith, my styrofoam disc and mirror worked perfectly to achieve a similar look to the real deal. I didn't even have to use glue for my wires. Nope. I just pushed the ends of my wires into the styrofoam and they were nicely secured. Score! This mirror would look great in an entryway, bedroom, living room, or bathroom. Who am I kidding, this mirror would look great anywhere!
Love this project? Get all of the supplies here (https://blitsy.com/blog/diy/look-for-less-anthropologie-inspired-starburst-mirror) to make your own!
how to make an anthro inspired starburst mirror with styrofoam and wire, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
Here's what you'll need:
8 Inch Styrofoam Disc
7 Inch Round Mirror
12 Gauge Gold Wire (5 Packages)
Gold Acrylic Paint
Wire Cutters
Thumb Tack
Hot Glue Gun and Glue
E6000 Glue
Twine
Scissors
First, you are going to cover your styrofoam disc with a layer of gold acrylic paint. I painted my entire disk, but really you only have to go in about 2 inches since your mirror will cover most of your styrofoam. After your paint has dried, go ahead and add another coat of paint and let dry.
While you paint is drying, grab your wire and wire cutters. Cut your wires so they are 22 inches long. Continue cutting your wires until you have cut all 5 of your wire packages.
Grab one wire and line-up the ends. You want your wire to take a leaf-like shape. To add more character, bend your wire so the "leaf" you created is not perfect and comes to a point at the end.
Take the point end of your leaf and stick it in the side of your styrofoam disc. The foam will hold your wire in place. You will add three more leaves to your styrofoam, creating a cross. Next, add leaves in-between the four wires already in your styrofoam.
Continue adding your wires to your styrofoam until all of them have been added. Don't be afraid to place wire in front of other wires, layering is good! Once all of your wires have been added.
Add E6000 glue to the back of your mirror. Glue your mirror to the center of your styrofoam.
Cut a piece of twine about 4 inches long and tie a knot at the end.Add a thumb tack to the center of your knot. Place a dab of hot glue (for some reason my E6000 did not work well) on the end of your thumb tack.
Place your thumb tack in the back of your styrofoam. Let the glue dry.

• C

What was the total cost of your project?
  • Deb Davis

Suppose I could use some cheap wire hangers spray painted gold?
  • Sheila Marie Scarborough

would What is the length of the 12 Guage wire that you picked up from Hobby Lobby? I picked up some 12 Guage gold wire from Amazon, 5 packages (like in your description) & my finished project is 3 packages & is fuller than yours. So having the length of the individual package that you used would would have been helpful. Love the project & thank you for the turtorial.

• Lori

I like your version better!

• Patty Amato Jones

You made a beautiful decorative piece! I agree with Lori, I like yours better! Thank you. 😉